Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which steel wheel finish resists rust best?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, Jan 26, 2001.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna have to buy steel AR 15x10 8 lugs now that Im getting a 14 bolt rear. Here in Salt Lake they salt the crap out of the roads here. So it looks like my coices are chrome or white paint. (i dont think they make the black in this pattern) Which will hold up best to rust.

2. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

Order the wheels that you will want with absolutely no finish. have them beaddblasted at a local sandblasting place then clean them with solvent and apray brakeclean on them to let them drip dry.
    after that paint them with POR15 probably 3 coats then a couple coat of clercoat that is UV resistant.
    this ought to solve any rusting problems that you'll ever encounter... they shouldn't rust[​IMG]
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

3. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Sounds kinda cool although quite alot of work. What color would they end up as? (black, silver,grey or what?) Thanks.

4. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

With painted rims you can always repaint them. Once chrome gets wrecked you'd have to replate them.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG]

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Powder coat them and you'll be done.

Michael[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</A>

6. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

POR15 is available in black, industrial grey, white, clear, and I think red, but I am not sure on that one, their UV protected colors are limited to black and clear I think.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, powder coat them and you WILL be done for life!!

8. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Powder coated wheels will rust after a couple of years in the salty areas, especially if it gets chipped. It's happened to rims I've had in the past.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG]

9. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

OK, to completely eliminate rust forever buy aluminum wheels.

Michael[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</A>

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

POR15 is available in more than a dozen colors, including clear and one that looks just like bare iron.

The only problem with aluminum is that the clear coat can get rubbed off and then the wheels pit and look nasty. Repairing that is probably about as much work as fixing up a rusty painted wheel. POR15 makes a kit to do it, in fact. You strip off all of the old clearcoat, polish the wheels until they're super shiny, then cover them with POR15 clear coat.

<font color=blue>Boulder Sunday Camera:"How we feel about ourselves is the core of self-esteem"</font color=blue>