Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which super swamper tire??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Jun 27, 2004.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I am looking to get a 38/12.50/15 size tire and I was looking at the super swamper TSL's but in the 4wp magizine they say they are for light trucks, I drive my truck about 90% on road and the rest in rocks and mud so will they be good for the road?
    Thanks

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the TSLs will wear out quick on the road. if you do most of your driving on the road then get a more asfalt frendly tire. im not sure of any tire in a 38" thats road friendly except maybe a SSR.

BTW as heavy as they are, our trucks are "light trucks" its when you get above a 1 ton is when you get into the meadium/heavy duty trucks.

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

The Ground Hawg II Radial will ride nice on the street and outlast any other agressive tire made. I have never had them in rocks, but I don't think they would do as well as a Swamper. In the mud I think they are better than swampers.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Basically there isn't a swamper that will wear slowly under your rig you will be happy with.

5. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I have Wrangler MTR's and they are AWSOME on and off the road. If they made the in 40's for a 15" rim Id never buy another tire. Well maybe IROK's

Nick

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would probably get a radial in a 35" tire if you drive that much. For rocks the X-terrains have been popular and I think they come in 37s, as have the MT/Rs. BFG mud terrains are always an option to.

Remember, EVERY Swamper rides loud and rough compared to what you're used to, and all of them are going to wear fairly quickly.

Ground Hawgs would likely suck in rocks, they're much too hard.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you decided to go radial go with the Goodyear MTR. In my opinion they are the best radial on the market for a mix of on and offroad. A friend of mine had X-terrains and now has MTR's. He says the MTR's are WAY better of a tire.

You can go with a Super Swamper but I don't think any of the SS's will outlast the MTR for street use or ride better then them on the roads.

If I had to pick a Super Swamper for a mix of DD/trail it would be the SSR in a 16" varity. They have 10 ply sidewalss that are tougher then the 6 plys.

Harley

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Everyone I've known that had MT/Rs, they wore pretty fast for a radial. Much faster than the BFGs I used to have.

They've got more biting edges in the center though so I guess it's a pick your poison thing.

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ya, I think that they will wear faster then BFG's but they are softer. They are better for traction offroad then the BFG but won't last as long as a BFG. I will say they will probably last longer then just about any Super Swamper on the street and also ride better.

I have had my MTR's for 6 months now. The rears were brad new and I have about 5000 miles on them. I have well over half tread left, and I drive my truck on the street most of the time with a welded rearend. The fronts started out with (used tires) about 50% and I haven't lost a noticable amount of tread yet.

Harley

10. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Super Swamper SSR's or
    Super Swamper Radials or
    Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips or
    Mickey Thompson Baja Claws

Those are all good tires that will work well for what you have in mind. The Dirt Grip tires might not be aggressive enough in mud or rocks but they will wear nicely on the road and look very aggressive on your truck. I'm considering a set of Baja Claws for my next set of tires, they will be the 46" ones though. I've heard they're comparable to a 44" Bogger in the mud /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I don't truct Swampers. I've had a few blow out on me, one that almost got my truck totaled. And all Interco said was to ship it to them and if they find a defect, they will replace the tire, but I would have to pay to ship it to them. And I think I know how that would have turned out.....

So I ditched the Swampers and got MTR's. And when it is time for new tires, I will buy another set. They are by far the best tire I have had on my Blazer so far. And I can drive at 70mph, listen to the radio and still hear my wife talking in the passenger seat(I guess I need to turn up the radio!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif). MTR's are great tires.

12. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

For all the daily driving you are doing, I would steer clear from the SS. I would recommed GY Mtr's, they are great on and off the road and wear evenly and you can get about 40k miles on them /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I went with Ground Hawg 2's because I see more on road then anything else. They wear like iorn, and do great in the mud. I haven't taken them in the rocks, but I know a few locals who have, and they like them, but I can't give any person experence with them and rocks.

14. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I went with Ground Hawg 2's because I see more on road then anything else. They wear like iorn, and do great in the mud. I haven't taken them in the rocks, but I know a few locals who have, and they like them, but I can't give any person experence with them and rocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

They work on the rocks too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Kewl, good too hear. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Michelin XL and XML are the only 38-39" tire that will last a looong time in steet use
    for the width you want the XML is the best choice on the market
    Don got 100000 (I think KiloMeters which is about 60000miles) on his set under a dodge turbo diesel that he uses very hard as his work truck
    has a custom rack for carrying powerpoles
    I have a picture of the truck back from mid to late 90s
    with 5 poles onboard to use as an example of how hard he worked those tires
    inflated to 42psi and driven daily including severe service work use

[​IMG]

17. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Super Swamper Radials

18. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    "10 ply sidewalss that are tougher then the 6 plys."
    The heat must be get to your writing............
    Please show me a swamper with 10 plys in the sidewall ! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    If you decided to go radial go with the Goodyear MTR. In my opinion they are the best radial on the market for a mix of on and offroad. A friend of mine had X-terrains and now has MTR's. He says the MTR's are WAY better of a tire.

You can go with a Super Swamper but I don't think any of the SS's will outlast the MTR for street use or ride better then them on the roads.

If I had to pick a Super Swamper for a mix of DD/trail it would be the SSR in a 16" varity. They have 10 ply sidewalss that are tougher then the 6 plys.

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

19. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

michelin 1100 x 16 xl's are rated at 4520lbs at 80 psi steel belted radials and 2 ply steel sidewalls
    heres my truck
    heres a tire with NO valve stem in it. its on the hub. this was a photo for a bet:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]