Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which Swampers are better...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by thatK30guy, Jan 5, 2002.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

...for street driving? I want to get the Radial Swampers and this kid who works for my bro-in-law at his service station is telling me NOT to get radials since they will wear out faster.

I want Radial Swampers for better ride characteristics.

What does anybody and everybody say about TSL's or Radial Swampers?

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

2. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I don't know about the Swampers, but Mickey Thompson Baja Claw bias ply tires suck on the street. Reminiscent of a fertilizer truck. Wear out fast. They work fairly well off road though. Still not as good as Swampers.

'87 K-5 w/ 350 TBI, 700r-4, Atlas II, D60 & 14Bolt, 6" susp., 1" ORD body, 35" Claws

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

the TSL radials have a tendancy to get bulges in them, i know a guy that had to replace 3 of his 4 in like 7 months. the regular TSLs are not all that good an the road but i've heard that SSRs are, i'm thinking about a set of em after my TSLs wear out. and mickey thompson ain't worth nothing from what i've heard.

Hows my driving? call 1-800-EAT-DIRT
    --Scott, 1989 GMC Suburban 2500 4" lift, 36" TSLs

4. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I've known of TSL radials lasting more than 30k. Never heard about any buldges though. Both TSL Radials and SSR Radials seem to last the same. According to Interco, all tires made have the same rubber compound.

Check this link out:
    www.off-road.com/chevy

5. I am running 38 x 15.5 x 16.5 TSL Super Swamper Radials and love them. They ride good and are not slick on the snow and rain. The work well off-road on the rocks and mud too. Mine have lasted me over 2 years and they were used when I got them !! Not much wear at all and I drive the Burb to work every day !!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>I Like my Burb'n on the ROCKS !!
    <font color=black>Imported to Kentucky through military channels !!

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I want to get another set of SSR's ....I like them alot!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>Check your head</a>

7. blazingboy

blazingboy 1/2 ton status

I got a set of 4 33 inch SSR's gonna put them on tomarrow tell you how they do when I get them on.

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Radials all the way IMO... unless it is a trail only rig the BP's just aren't worth the miserey.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

9. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

Wes,
    I put 37" Swamper SSRs on yesterday and they have great on-road manners. I will let you know about the off-road stuff soon.
    BTW, did you get the info you needed about the gen 1 doubler?
    David

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They're MUCH cheaper.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They're MUCH cheaper in the sizes I'm looking at for my next tires though. 38x15.50 radials are $60 more, each, than 38x16 bias.

Tim

12. thatK30guy

Hey Shawn!! Long time no see!! Good to see ya back on the site again! [​IMG]

Yeah, I was pretty much dead set on getting the Radials and this kid tells me otherwise. But fear not, this kid has NEVER done any type of off roading NOR had any type of lifted truck. [​IMG] (I know - listen to a kid who knows nothing!)

I have my heart set on a set of the 38" Radial Swampers for your old '82 K30! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

13. thatK30guy

David, yeah got the info on the Gen. I, but I was looking at getting the 10-spline kit.

I'm now pondering the use of the Gen. II but with using the 32-spline 465 tranny and a 465/203 adaptor ONLY IF I can get the output shaft to work by finding out if the shaft needs to be shortened or whatever. The whole idea for this set up is to run ALL 32 spline shafts. [​IMG]

14. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

If you can post very specific questions, I will ask James Watson(Stephen's Dad) tomorrow when I see him.
    David

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's not the first time I've heard someone say bias lasts longer though.

Ever seen a bald set of Ground Hawgs? I haven't. I've seen close to bald--but never a bald set. They're HARD.

But if all Swampers are made from the same rubber, I'd bet the radials do last longer.

Tim

16. thatK30guy

Ok, here's the plan:

Locate a 32-spline 465 tranny that used the 208 t-case.

Use a 465/203 adaptor.

Use a 400-version 203 range box. (to fit the 32-spline 465 tranny)

Use the Gen. II Doubler.

Use the 32-spline 400-version 205.

In order to use the 32-spline 465 tranny and make the 465/203 adaptor work to the 400-version 203 range box, I need to know how long the output shaft needs to be on the 465 tranny. If the shaft is too long, is it possible to remove the shaft and machine it down to a shorter length to fit in all that I explained above?

I know that all sounds confusing, but the whole idea is to use ALL 32 spline thru out the tranny/t-case.

17. thatK30guy

I have seen bald GH's before. Even rode in the truck that had them. Rode like crap, as the front shimmied soooo bad, your cavities would rattle loose from your teeth!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

russ posted no shaft mods required at all. he reduced the bearing retainer diameter of the 203 by 0.040" and it bolted up with a redrill to 6 bolt round pattern. I take that as gospel BTDT first hand no BS advise.

formerly 77chev

19. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>If your worried about wear, then dont get Swampers at all. They all wear out fast. I got the radials in october 2000, they came with 21/32nds and I still have 19 (it's my play truck, so it doesnt have many miles). I'm not to happy with the sidewalls. I tore a good chunck off and they're a little weak. My next set will be 37x13 boggers or 38x12.5 SX's (they're about 37").

20. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

I have a set of SSR's 37x12.5-15's for sale, got pics, they have an hours worth of time on them, with free rims.

live to wheel, wheel to live--1972 gmc jimmy 8 inch lift, 37" ssr's