Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which TBI manifold

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Jimmy, Jan 21, 2005.

1. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Picked up a knock in the engine, so it's time for it to go...stock 89 TBI w/ headers...90% DD...10/12B, 4:10's, 33's, built 700R...truck sees a few fire roads, mud, Road Trips, and pulls my bass boat..

Gonna go with the 330hp GM Crate, and the TBI kit from CFM Tech...haven't decided really on much of anything else yet...prolly stick with the stock dist, and the ceramic Flotech's I have are in ok shape ...thinking I can keep this whole thing under $3600 turnkey (ok, maybe $4...er...5K)

I've read (not yet searched) about some problems with some intake manifolds....accessibilty and such...I know I need to change the fuel pressure regulator, and maybe go to a heated O2...I'm on 26.4 dialup, so searching etc eats a Huge amount of time

Is the GM Vortec TBI manifold adequate or is there something else that will make my life easier? I'll be looking, reading and surfing links for the next week or so getting my shopping list together

Also wondering if there is anything to be gained by maybe changing to a roller cam valvetrain...

I don't Need/want a 383 or BB

2. blazerguy 90

blazerguy 90 1/2 ton status

New Engine

You will need to have a chip burned to work with the new engine comination, go to Third Generation F-Bodies web site and read there TBI forum, there is alot of information there on how to tune a TBI, I have learned alot about TBI`s over there.

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

If that crate engine you are getting has vortec heads, your only option for the TBI/ vortec head intake is the GM performance parts one. No one else makes them. You could get a normal carb intake and get an adapter, but I wouldnt ghetto rig it, just get the right parts. And also, b/c it is a 330 HP one I am assuming that is a GM performance parts engine and not a Mr. Goodwrench piece of crap. Avoid Mr. Goodwrench engines like the plague they are Echo Al Mexico pieces of crap. Good choise on the CFM stuff, I will be getting some goodies from them when I do my 454 swap in the burb :D .

4. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

get the edelbrock performer intake w/ the spacer for the tbi it will save you a 150 bucks