Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which TBI??

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by Col_Sanders, Nov 4, 2006.

?

Which TBI???

Poll closed Nov 14, 2006.
  1. Get the Holley

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. CFM Tech

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Big Block

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Stop whining!! Its not a sports car!!

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I know this question has probably come up before but which is best?

A little info on the engine....Its got about 4k on it, it has Hypereutectic pistons, Edelbrock Performer cam, intake, heads, and shorty headers, and a chip burned by Edelbrock. Running electric fans, Dual cats w/Flowmaster 40s through 2.5" pipe. Its got a lot of torque down low but seems to be a little off on the high end.

I am looking for performance. Fuel economy is cool, but I want performance. Found several Holley 670s on ebay but have heard a few negative things about them. I know I will have to have my intake bored out to match for best performance. Also looking at getting the CFM-Tech kit or a big block TBI. I want something easy to install that I dont have to do too many mods to get to work right. Want a bolt and go thing. I also know I will probably have to have another chip burned but thats no big deal.

I will be putting a Carter inline fuel pump in when I get a chance.

2. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Check out turbo city, they have the same tbi's as cfm-tech but are alot more helpful. I'm running a cfm-tech one and have had no problems for over 2 years now. Dont get a holley they suck!

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What ever one you put on there you'll need to do a lot of re-mapping to get the best of what sounds like a good motor package. Generally speaking these 'off the shelf' chips are junk. They just throw in a bit of timing and a bit of gas.
    With all the money you've invested in the motor I would at least convert your ECU to use an Ostrich (or some other emulator, but I like the Ostrich) or better still go for EBL which I'm in the process of doing.
    I thought mine was running pretty good until I started emulating and found smoothness and power I never had with a stock set up. The EBL is going to be way better, faster and more accurate (the stock ECU gives feedback every 1.6 seconds where as the EBL does it every 50milliseconds).

4. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

What is a EBL? thx

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Embedded Lockers. It's a way advanced ECU to replace your '7747.
    http://www.dynamicefi.com/
    Read about it here and on www.thirdgen.org under the DIY prom board.

6. Col_Sanders

Looks expensive.

I think I will end up with the CFM Tech kit.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd really look into getting a chip done from someone like TBIchips.com, if the Edelbrock one you have/intend to get again is what I see described on their website...tell them the engine specs, they burn one and send it to you.

You need to get the data actually logged to see what's going on. It is very likely you are running lean up high.

8. Col_Sanders

I think that is the problem, so I am going to eventually get a better chip burned. I wanted to also get the TB upgraded at the same time.

I did just get a Hypertech coil kit that came with a new coil, cap, and rotor. My old rotor was pretty much shot and the cap was pretty corroded. I willl see if that made any difference in a few days but I have to finish the transmission install first.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, that's where Southernspeed's advice comes into play...if you are looking at another chip, (no idea how much tbichips.com and/or edelbrocks run compared to EBL) how much will you have invested in both of those compared to EBL?

If you are looking towards performance, I'd guarantee that the EBL is 100's of times better at extracting every last ounce of power from your engine, that's why so much time and effort was spent on it.

Obviously other hardware needs to be matched to your engine, but at the same time, the electronics that control how your hardware is fed can really make a difference.

Not saying you HAVE to buy it of course, but perhaps another way to look at it. There is no reason you can't get economy AND performance with EFI, that's one of it's many advantages! :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  10. Col_Sanders

Edelbrock sent me the chip for free with all the other stuff I bought from them. I bought their whole package so everything would work well together. It really seems to, it has tons of torque, but I just dont think the stock TB has enough to really let it all out.

I think tbichips.com charges ~180 or so but its been a while since I have looked. Just checked the pricing on the EBL and it seems fair. Less than 300. Will have to look into that more when I have the money again.

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have had good luck with these TBsXtreemeFI Bored TBs
    The 46mm TB works good on a mild built 350. You dont have to bore out your intake.
    590 cfm is just about perfict for a 350 with mild cam, intake, and headers.
    I have installed 2 of these units on 350s and liked the results. They work well with a stock chip if you increase the fuel pressure up to around 14.5- 15 PSI for all around performance and MPG.
    For more performance 17 PSI works great but gas milage takes a little hit.