Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which Tire

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Apr 3, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to decide on my next tire... prolly stay in the 35-36 Range. Don't wanna get too expensive... how are the Baja Claws, radial and non-radial? How are they in mud, sand, pavement, wetpavement etc? Im thinking of getting those or just some KM's or MAYBE the SSR.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I say BFG MT/KM, or Goodyear MT/R. They are both radial, have decent on road noise, and wear well.

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Well another reason i kinda wanted ot stay away from the KM is cuz EVERYONE has them i kind wanted a different tire... are the MTRs worth the price?

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I think they would be. I saw them in action in AZ, and they tackled everything there very well. Of course there is no real mud in AZ, or at least for any length of time. I really was impressed with there performance. They also did better then the KM's in the Peterson's mud test awhile back. They only finished behind the Swampers & swamper boggers.

5. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine had the MTR's and they worked great. He had no locker, no power steerting, no power brakes, and street gears. He followed through some pretty nasty trails and the tires had a lot to do with it.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I gess you need to figure out what you want to do more. I'm more into mudding so I'm going with Cooper Discoverer STT 35's.

7. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

personally, TSLs, don't be afraid of running TSLs on the road, i do it on my daily driven suburban. i like my 36x12.50s very much!!

8. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I don't have much experience with the rest, but the baja claw bias works well in the mud, maybe even better than the ssr's, but they suck in the sand and on wet pavement. My buddy has MT/R's on his f**d broke'o and they seem to work very well in the sand, mud, and on the pavement.

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I've got a buddy with 35" claws and when they were brand new on mounted but not installed, they ran a true 33", maybe a hair under. If this matters any to you.

10. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

MTRs are great, and worth the price IMO. I have them on my Jimmy, and I have the MT KMs on my burb. I love the MTRs over the KMs. I have gotten stuck quite a few times in the mud pulling my boat out on the KMs, but never got stuck on my MTRs. The MTRs are going on the burb tonight so I dont get stuck this weekend /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I am in AZ, so thats really the only mud I have play with recently. I dont use the ramp if you cant tell /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I have taken the MTRs through some thick mud and didnt get stuck, it was a spot by the house where they were building a road, and it was about 100 yards long and about 2 feet deep. My buddy made it half way trough in his stock 92 4runner on 31x10.5 MTRs. I made it through on my 35" MTRs, but I had a front locker. I pulled him out to when he got stuck, and I didnt even spin a tire in the mud.