Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which tires for my truck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DesertDueler, Sep 5, 2004.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I am trying to decide on some tires for my k20. It has a 8" lift, so I want to go in the 38-40" range. I will use this truck for towing the boat to the lake(boat and trailer are really light, under 3,000 lbs), taking the rail to glamis, camping, and wheeling. I am trying to decide on what to go with. They will see alot of highway, since glamis is 3-4 hrs away. Anyways I have had 38.5" SXs, and liked them, but I really want something for a 16" wheel. I will get 15" wheels if I have to. I was thinking either 39.5x13.5-16 irok, 38x13-16 tsl, or 38.5x15-16 bogger. If I go 15" wheel 38.5x14.50-15 SX, 39.5x15-15 tsl. Help guys. BTW I only am thinking to boggers because of how good they do in sand.

Dan

2. DesertDueler

Or even the 40x17-15 ground hawgs. I am trying to decide this weekend, so I can get free shipping.

Dan

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would go with the 39x15x15 TSL, maybe step up to the 10 ply model since you're towing.

4. DesertDueler

Does anybody know if there is any grinding with 2" backspacing? The reason I am asking is because I am putting furd outers on mine so I can have dual piston calipers and bigger brake pads. I have heard that 15" doesnt clear furds.

Dan

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

2" of BS shouldnt require much grinding at all. May need some, but it won't be much.

AFA tires, thats a lot of street miles... I wouldnt even think about running iroks... prolly either TSL, SSR or hawgs. With that many miles.. I'd prolly lean towards the hawgs. I run 39.5" TSLs and love em, but they are ONLY used on trails or to get to nearby trails... no 4 hour road trips. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've never towed with the Ground Hawg's, so I couldn't tell ya how they work for that. But I will say that I do like the Ground Hawg's. They last along time with road duty.

7. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've never towed with the Ground Hawg's, so I couldn't tell ya how they work for that. But I will say that I do like the Ground Hawg's. They last along time with road duty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah if you want an arrgressive tire and do a lot of miles, the Hawgs wear like iron. I wouldn't get boggers for the road, ypou might as well just burn your paycheque.