Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which tires for snow

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bandit175, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Bandit175

Bandit175 Registered Member

which tires for on road snow driving /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

any thing with a lot of bitting edges and remember sipping makes more bitting edges. My choice for my dd is bfg at, but they cant touch the boggers on my blazer.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It depends on how big of a tire you want to run. In the stock and near-stock sizes, there isn't much out there that will outperform Michelin Alpin or Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires on snow, ice, and snowpacked roads. Another interesting option is these tires: http://www.greendiamondtire.com/ that have tiny bits of carbide embedded in the rubber. It's an interesting concept that appears to be popular in Iceland, Sweeden and the rest of Northern Europe. Those folks have a bit of experience with driving in cold weather! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you're looking for an off-road tire that will perform pretty well in the snow and ice, the BFG All-Terrain does pretty good. But I've never seen any off-road tire that will hold a candle to a true snow and ice tire when it comes to winter driving. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Any tire with a lot of biting edges and siping. (SMALL TREAD BLOCKS are your friend)

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you run 35" or under BFG AT's do pretty well on ice and snow. My 32's did pretty well threw the winter in Colorado last year. I saw alot of guys running the MTR for an offroad tire so I imagine that they must do ok in the snow and ice if alot of guys run them.

You can also have your tires siped to increase the number of edges to grip. I had it done to my BFG MT's at Discount Tire. Cost $10 per tire.

Harley

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

How about your favorite Intercos and about 500 studs per tire. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

about those BFGs anyhow...why the hell are they so damn expensive!!??

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    about those BFGs anyhow...why the hell are they so damn expensive!!??

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully it's because they are a good tire! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

In the case of my tires, it's because they are the only ones making AT's in this size, and it's a fairly uncommon size at that. (33x10.5R15's) So far it HAS been an excellent tire, great wear, great mileage, great road manners, good for mild off-road, and shallow unpacked snow.

Keep in mind, $135/tire isn't expensive at all compared to what some being run on this board cost.

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I have these on my plow truck and they are great in the snow and sand! The trucks been down all summer I didn't ge to try them out on dry ground for long but they are not real agressive looking but they stick to the ground! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

10. axlehack

axlehack Registered Member

I run Hakkapeliittas on my wife's car (at all four corners) and they are sweet. She actually called me after an especially snowy commute to say how wonderful they were.

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I really like the Goodyear AT/S's!!!!!!!! They came stock on my fathers Yukon Z71 and they go GREAT on snow covered roads! The first winter he had it I would go out of my way to find untouched snow covered roads to test out how the push button 4wd works and the AWD button. I tried getting it to slide or bring the ass end aroudn and it seemed to always wanna go straight and had alot of traction!

Also, my 35" BFG AT/KOs do decently too.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But I like the GY AT/S's better.

12. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    I really like the Goodyear AT/S's!!!!!!!! They came stock on my fathers Yukon Z71 and they go GREAT on snow covered roads! The first winter he had it I would go out of my way to find untouched snow covered roads to test out how the push button 4wd works and the AWD button. I tried getting it to slide or bring the ass end aroudn and it seemed to always wanna go straight and had alot of traction!

Also, my 35" BFG AT/KOs do decently too.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But I like the GY AT/S's better.

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Wrangler AT/S's are really nice, I did finally get an email from Goodyear saying the 35x12.5x15 has been discontinued though /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    [​IMG] 32" AT/S @ 50Kmiles
    [​IMG] tread pattern

13. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I'll second the GY AT/S....Mine do very well in the snow. Like was mentioned, it takes quite a bit of throttle to make the a$$ end squirrely.

If you want a larger size, good luck as I seem to have gotten the last set (?) in 35x12.50x15....Right jjlaughner ???? He is searching everywhere for a set, and so far has come up empty....

14. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll second the GY AT/S....Mine do very well in the snow. Like was mentioned, it takes quite a bit of throttle to make the a$$ end squirrely.

If you want a larger size, good luck as I seem to have gotten the last set (?) in 35x12.50x15....Right jjlaughner ???? He is searching everywhere for a set, and so far has come up empty....

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHHA /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I beat ya to the post by 1 minute /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I guess your third now /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif