Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which Tires Should I Get?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

If you were to choose, what would you get? This will be on my 1990 Blazer with a 4" suspension lift. Hubby says no fender trimming yet cause it's too new. We have a lot of snow up here, this is my daily driver and family vehicle, and also my off-road mud toy. Will a 13.50 wide tire fit on a 10 inch rim?

Basically I can get any Pro Comp, any Swamper, or the Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip. Thanks for any input - looks like I will be able to go on the Labor Day Weekend run after all!

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

If it was me I would either get SSR's or the Dirt Grip's.

3. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

do NOT get ssr's . they suck . id get a set of bfg muds or mt/r's thats all i have to say .

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

My Vote go's for MTR's.
    1.They have an Aggressive Tread Pattern.
    2.Traction in Mud, Snow, Dirt, Rock's,etc.
    3.They run Quiet, even down the Hiway at 70 mph.
    4.They're GOODYEARS no Firestone type BLOWOUTS! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

5. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Id go with the BFG A?T's or the Muds, depending on what your gonna be doing with it off-road wise. They last a long time, and are just a damn good tire. I have the MTR's which are also a damn good off-road tire, but they wear fast, and are not as stable on the highway. They are very soft and "wiggly" ......and thats all I have to say about that. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

A 13.50" tire will fit on a 10" rim and so will a 14.50 if you find that size for a good price... I'd say wait until Labor Day and see if the Pro Comp go on sale again. They get those buy 3 get 1 free sales every so often... even if you don't like them then wait because there's always good sale on stuff then. Would be worth the extra week wait to wheel to get a good deal! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

4WPWs is having their buy 4 procomp tires for the price of 3 this August.

8. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Out of those tires, probably the Pro Comp Mud Terrains. I dont live too far from you, and the bfg-all terrains (almost identical to pro-comp all terrains) i used to have were not happy in the mud or snow more than a couple inches deep (read: spin spin spin) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    My vote goes for the goodyear MT/Rs. They're a good tire, and all of this wearing fast talk is true... but if you rotate the tires whenever you change the oil and keep the pressure in them correct they'll last for quite a while.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my own personal opinion...

1) MTRs
    2) new BFG MT/KMs
    3) ProComp MTs
    4) everyone else...

J

11. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

With a 4" lift, a 33"x12.5x15" or 16" will fit well and should not rub even under heavy flex. Go with the BFG MT/KM or the Pro Comp MT's. I think the Pro Comps are even siped for better wet traction on asphalt. Both have a good pattern for all around off roading and will wear well on the street.

John

12. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I ordered the Pro Comp M/T's today. I'm not waiting for any sale. Going wheelin' on the Pipeline here in WI Labor Day Weekend, and hopefully again for the March of Dimes Rally the following weekend. I'm doing web design in exchange for the tires so price isn't much of a concern /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Yeehaw!!

13. 1970Jimmy

1970Jimmy Registered Member

I have a set of 35x12.50 X-Terrains and I LOVE THEM. They wear really well, have an excellent ride (smooth & quiet), and they go really well off road. I think they are a perfect balance (performance, ride quality, price). I got mine on the buy 3 get 1 deal from 4WPW. They are great /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

14. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

What Size did you order?

15. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

33x12.50x15 - hubby said no fender trimming, lol. And I've got a 4" lift to put in. I really do need to trim the rears due to rust though!

16. nofeartruckin00

Are you going with a group of people up to Pipeline? I was up there a month or two ago, and didnt dare attempt the rock hill. I really wish it had a by-pass, i would have liked to gone a little further than that /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Jeeze i need better ground clearance /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

17. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I sure am! A small group. There is a bypass to Rock Hill which I will be taking :-). I'm not going to do something too stupid and break my daily driver! Are you planning to go? Last time we were there with 3 Broncos. They spent half the weekend broke down and my husband commented to me that "we need some Chevy friends". Ha. If you are going, let me know and we'll meet up! Mine might be the only other Blazer there with a CK5 sticker on the windshield - the small logo one. I have pics of my truck on my site, too.

18. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    do NOT get ssr's . they suck . id get a set of bfg muds or mt/r's thats all i have to say .

[/ QUOTE ]

No way...I have to disagree. They have very good on road manner's. Real quiet,and perform great off road. Better than my radial TSL's I have now. I'm gonna get SSR's after this set of tires wear out.

19. nofeartruckin00

I wish i could make it /forums/images/icons/frown.gif . When we went up, it was just my truck and my buddies truck, and neither one of us had been on pipeline before. What looked to be the huge bypass for the rock hill was blocked off by a 4' mound and a ditch on the other side. They must have been doing work back there AGAIN, and left the place pretty torn up. Freshly cut trees, and just a big mud pit from the bulldozer tracks. Hopefully i can catch up with you and your husband for some wheeling soon, havent been out in a while. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

20. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Watch out for 4WPW. They raise the price of the tire just before they run the buy four for the price of three sales!!! Best bet is to watch there price several weeks before the sale and watch there competition. They do match prices and if you find a better price during the sale may be you could get 4 for the price of 3 at their competition /forums/images/icons/grin.gif