Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which tires to run???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8BaLL, Jun 29, 2002.

1. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

I am most likely going to get super swamper tires. I am going to have 16" rims and I want my tire height to be 36-38. I am going to do a little bit of mudding and then street driving. I am not quite sure which tires to get. Should I get the TSL's, SSR's, or Thornbirds?? Please give me ideas and tell me what you have heard about the tires good and bad.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i am running 38x13x16in tsl swampers and love them never had any problems with them /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. ol_grayfeather

ol_grayfeather Registered Member

DONT get Thornbirds...they suck!!!! A friend gave me a set and I still when out and bought tires the first chance I got. They are worthless on wet pavement and suicidal on snow and ice, and if they cant even get traction on pavement you can just imagine what they're like in the dirt....never took mine in the mud cuz I was to scared of getting stuck. Just my two cents.

Dan

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

iv heard they do ok in the sand /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I'll have to second the 38x13x16, although they measure a bit over 36" in reality, they have massive lug spacing compared to the radial 36x12x16. I run mine unbalanced and siped, and I've gotten used to the nice unique vibration. I think they should call em 37x13x16 and make an SX in the same size and sell em with the bogger of the like.

6. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

From every thing I have heard from people, do not get Thornbirds. They look cool, but they really suck off road, especially in the mud. From me, go as big as you can. I put on my 37's about three weeks ago and they already look too small to me. I have SSR's but no offroad time with them. I have heard from a few people that some of them tend to fall apart under certain circumstances, again, no experience and only a few stories of this. Everyone I have heard from who has Boggers loves them.

7. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i am running 36x12.50-16.5 TSLs on my daily driven suburban and i go muddin almost every weekend. i love them, never had any problems with them.

8. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

Boggers are the best for mudding, but if you want more street go with tsl's. Boggers wear too fast on the streets, Thornbirds suck, plus they are ugly. SSR's are too loud imo. just my 2cents