Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RedneckK5, Nov 6, 2002.

1. RedneckK5

RedneckK5 Registered Member

i need to know which tires to run on my blazer. i currently have bfg all terrains but want something more aggresive. but i dont want the tires to be too loud on the highway because i drive it 70 miles a day to work. i am thinking about maxis buckshot mudders. anyone know anything about these tires. any help would be great. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Pro Comp X-terrain
    Try these, they are really smooth on the road, and yet very agressive off road.

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

why not just step up to the BFG MT's? If the Buckshot Maxxis are Bias ply I wouldn't do it

Eric

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Get MT/R's nothing beats in them in the under 37" category

5. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i believe the buck shot mudders are the loudest tire ever made.

usually i dont believe what a magazine says. but 4wheel and offroad was pretty insistant on the fact that they are very loud.
    fod for thought
    ryan

6. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

I'm very happy with SSR swamper radials. For TSL's they're very quiet, they don't roar like the bias swampers (which I do like), more subtle like BF muds.

7. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

While working in a tire shop for the last 3 years I have seen great tires and bad tires, if you spend alot of time on pavement but want aggresive I would pick up a set of Uniroyal Ladradeo, they are cheap, fairly quite, pretty aggressive and wear pretty well compared to others, another would be the TSL, but your going to pay way more. You can get a 35" Uniroyal M/T for about 115 bucks, from Wal mart or Sam's club, can also order them from the Wal mart site for that price to your door. The MTR is great as long as you don't do much long distance pavement or high speed(60 MPH and above) on pavement cause they wear bad under these conditions. I definatly would not go with the buck shot if you are concerned about noise, these are awesome tires for clean out and fairly good on wear but they are really LOUD. I had a set of 33" Wal-Mart brand Super Sport tires on an S-10 Blazer and also 35"on a '77 Chev Pickup, they were awesome, Kelly used to make them for Wal-mart but I think GoodYear makes them now, not really sure, either way Kelly is part of GoodYear, both sets had over 30 thou on them when the vehicles were sold and they were both really quite, great road manners. There really are only 3 tire manufactures in the world. Well hope this all helps you out.

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

70 miles on the highway daily means you want radials, not bias plys. My recommendations in order from most expensive to least (approximately):
    Wrangler MT-R
    Pro Comp X-terrain
    BFG M/T
    Pro Comp M/T
    General Grabber M/T

9. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

I'll second the Uniroyal Laredo M/Ts that hawglet suggested. I've got a set in the 33" flavor, and they are wearing just as good as bfg at's i had before them. And they are cheaper too. Only thing is that they come in very limited sizes. Got my set from National Tire & Wheel Although i dont remember paying $127 a tire...... must have been a sale when i bought mine.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I had a set of Buckshot mudders they were loud. Espically on the freeway. They wore pretty fast on the road. I also put a sharp rock right thru the tread and ruined the tire when climbing a hill once. The place I bought them from would not warentee them for road hazzard. Thats the last set I bought.
    The BFG Mud Terrains are a good choice. Or if you are on a budget the Wall- Mart super sports MTs are a pretty good tire. I have a set of 33" Super Sports that I have been happy with. They seem to be wearing good on the road and hook up real good off road and are fully warented

11. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

The Buckshot Maxxis Mudder is a radial tire that is pretty reasonably priced. It is not the "original" Buckshot Mudder. I do not know about the wear on those specific ones, but most radials will be quieter and last longer than bias ply. I have 35" Pro-Comp M/Ts and they are really quiet and have a nice ride. Had a set of 35" Gumbo Monster Mudders bias ply and they were very loud. Just my experience.

12. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Check out the Mickey Thompson Baja Claws... Road noise is very minimal for how agressive they are. Ive talked to people that are also very happy with how they wear.