Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which tools

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by therover87, Jan 21, 2002.

1. therover87

therover87 1/2 ton status

I have been looking to buy a compressor for my garage and also some air tools, i was wondering which companies you guys had, Snap On, Craftsman, which one would you guys recommend, also which compressor would you guys reccomend.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Air compressors 101 (for your shop)

Well it really depends on what your planning on doing with it. If it's just for weekend wrench fests then the compressors you see that are 5hp are going to cover it for you. If your planning on running a sand blaster or Body tools like DA's you need to be concerned at how fast the compressor can recover. This is where the price takes a big jump.
    Compressors are rated in CFM (cubic feet per minute) at 90 psi. Most tools will run just fine at 90 so you don't need a compressor that is much over that. The standard is 125 PSI. What you want to look at when shopping fo.r a compressor is that CFM. The higher the number the better it will be able to handle air hog tools. Home Depot usualy has a nice guide with their power tools as to what each tool averages in CFM use. Use it as a guide to what you plan to do.
    Tank size is a way to mask compressor performance. It can make a low CFM compressor able to deal with short bursts of heavy use. It will allow for a large amount of air to be available but once you drop the pressure beyond what the pump can produce it's a down hill slide. You have to stop and let it catch up. For somebody just running a impact to work on a car that's fine. you only use them for a short burst so you can get away with a $400 80 compressor. But if your running a tool that stays on for a long time tank size becomes less important to how fast that compressor can make pressure.
    I use a Camble Hausfeld 30 gallon jobber compressor. 220v. It delivers 7.4CFM at 90 PSI (I think...have to go double check). It will our perform the 80 gallon Black max they sell at Home Depot. That compressor only produces 4.7 CFM at 90 as I recall. Best part is I picked it up used for $70. It takes up less space and for 90% of what I do it works just fine. I can run a little cheap gravity feed sandblaster for short periods of time but it does run out of steam and I have to let it rest for about 5 minutes for every 10 when I blast. Does just fine when wrenching.
    A few terms to know .
    CFM. Cubic feet per minute
    single stage. This means the compressor as a single piston to make pressure out of. Your cheaper compressors will be single stage.
    2 stage or Double stage. It will run 2 compressionj cilinders. Typicaly on better units and makes pressure faster. What they do is have a large cylinder the will compress the air and fill a smaller chamber for it's higher pressure. What that means is your forct charging the second cylinder sort of on a tubo charger/ super charger principle. The more air you can force down it's throat the higher the compression ratio. These are more effecient and will have a higher CFM rating.
    Screw type. Basicly it's like a rotary super charger. No pistons. Prettydecent. Need minimal maintance. LOUD. You will probably want to set it around the corner when using it to knock down the noise in your work area because the will wear you out with the noise. These are also sometimes "Oil less" models. They run teflon seals so no metal to metal contact.
    Compressors are like welders. 220v is better than 110v. Just more available power to work with. Don't let that make you thing they will need more electrical draw to run. The are often cheaper to run as far as the power meter goes.
    Well I hope that clears some of the mud. In air products the better names are Ingersol Rand, Camble Hausefeild and Leroi (sp they don't make much that would be good for the home user. this is big commercial stuff). The Black Max is a cheap compressor. Craftsman doesn't build their own comprssors, they just put their name on them. Your paying for the name so you can probably find it under a different name brand cheaper somewhere else. Worth taking the time to look at what they got and write down the CFM rating for comparison. Then wait for a sale of look for a simulare compressor somewhere else and compair the warranty and CFM spec and save yourself a few bucks.
    I'm a cheap bastard. When I blow this compressor Out I'll find another used one. Often in your sunday paper, thrifty nickle, Advertiser, pro grade compressors will be for sale used. I often see 2 stage 80 gallson used for what a Black Max at HD cost new. Just be leary of a compressor you can't run. Idealy you want to be able to hear the compressor run and make sure it works. Also the valves in most comressors are reed style. The better compressors can be rebuilt. If you have an old compressor that just seems to have lost it's edge it might be time for a service. Often $30 will make them perform like new.
    As for air tools...I LOVE my Ingersol impact (available at home Depot). I'm sold on them. You get what you pay for in tools. A $39 impact is junk and will give it up after a couple years. A $90+ Ingersol will last you a lifetime.
    BE SURE TO READ the instructions before putting air to the tool. Stuff like impacts need to have an oiling seqence done BEFORE air is put to the tool the first time. Failure to do so will void the warranty and cause it to fail.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have a Camble Hausfeld compressor and Ingersol air tools also. I like them
    Grimms right about Ingersol being good. I have a old Ingersol impact gun I found alongside the road over 20 years ago. It still works good.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins