Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which torque convertor should I get?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazindorito, Mar 23, 2005.

1. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

I am having a dilemma onw hich type of torque convertor to get with a th400 I am rebuilding. I will be 4 wheelin and towing maybe 2000lbs. Quad and 3 dirt bikes. Cam sugested aI use a 1800 but I spoke to a frind and he said to get a lower one than that and then I also heard that maybe a high one. CONFUSED?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

1800 is a good stall speed for all-around kinda stuff. i ran a 1600 when i had an auto and it was almost perfect for my truck and what i do.

3. short sub

short sub Registered Member

hi- i just went through this same thing with my th400. have you called tci they were awesome to deal with. after describing everything about my rig to the man over the phone he recommended their saturday nite special- its a 1800 stall and ive only had it on one ride so far but i love it. my cam is the comp x treme 4x4 with 260/282 (nothing radical at all) and i love the way it all works together. try calling them and im sure they can help ya out

lata ryan

4. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

just drop a 4 speed manual in your truck, then you don't need the stall converter. =)

5. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

What is the number or web page for TCI. I will give them a call. Thanks

6. short sub

short sub Registered Member

you can reach them at 601-224-8972 but i forgot who i spoke to. everyone there is helpful though. the part # i have is a 241500- by the way have your cam card and all that fun stuff ready plus all the other non stock info about your rig.

lata ryan

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

What torque convertor you need depends on your cam. Stock or RV/mild cam= stock convertor.
    If you have a performance cam you should get a torque convertor with higher stall speed that matches the RPM range of the cam.