Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which Tpi Fuel Pump With Which Tank?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChickenRammit, Jan 24, 2006.

1. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What Year And Make Tpi Fuel Pump Should I Ask For At The Gm Parts Dealer To Put Into An '87 K5 Fuel Tank? I Still Need To Purchase The Tank As Well. There Are 2 Options On Tanks, One Is A 25 Gallon Tank And The Other Is A 31 Gallon Tank. Which Tank Should I Get And What Year And Make Fuel Pump Should I Get For That Tank? By The Way, I'm Removing The Carbeurated 350 Swapping In A '99 Vortec 350. I'm Just Trying To Obtain The Fuel Pressure For The New Motor.

2. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

if all is new, get the 31 gallon tank, you will need a sender to match the tank(comes w/o pump), and I used the pump for a 90 Camaro VIN 8(5.7L TPI)

just so you know, I dead headed the pump in mine, and the TPI pump can put out 85PSI, so it will be plenty for the 60psi you need for that vortec(I only need 43.5 PSI....LT1)

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

A fuel pump from a 92-94ish S-truck with the CPI (Vortec, vin W) will fit your sending unit and have the correct pressure.

I would pick the 31-gallon tank unless you are extremely worried about your departure angle.

FYI, Suburban sending units (of the same body style) are the same sending unit as the 31-gallon K5.

4. ChickenRammit

just so you know, I dead headed the pump in mine, and the TPI pump can put out 85PSI, so it will be plenty for the 60psi you need for that vortec(I only need 43.5 PSI....LT1)[/quote]

THANKS DAVE THIS IS JUST THE INFO I NEEDED, BUT WHAT DOES DEAD HEADING THE PUMP MEAN AND HOW DO I DO IT?

5. ChickenRammit

6. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

the 4.3 CPI was used from 92-95 in the s-trucks. The pumps put out at least 60 PSI. The CPI requires 60 PSI to operate. You would be looking forthe Pump for the vin code W engine

7. dave_90_blazer

dead heading is just pressurizing the system without a return line(or plugged) it just forces the pump to put out max pressure, I did it just to check for leaks

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  8. ChickenRammit

Beside The Pump, The Tank, And The Sending Unit, Is There Anything Else I Should Be Purchasing? In The Lmc Catalog They Also List A Fuel Pump Pulsator, Fuel Pump Gasket, Fuel Pump Plate, Plate Gasket, And A Fuel Pump Pushrod. Do I Need Any Of These Items To Complete The Tank/pump Swap?

9. dave_90_blazer

everything you need tank/pump wise should come with the tank/pump

you will need straps for the size tank you are using though

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

No.. the 190-200hp 4.3L CPI engines started in '92. Available in S-trucks and Astro/Safari. These had 'Vortec' badging on the engine itself.

I don't recall the working pressure... I had it all figured out at my old job, and based on the info we could find, a co-worker he used these CPI pumps with a 98 Vortec 454 he put in his '87 K30.

11. dave_90_blazer

I forgot, you will need to proper "sock" for the pump you use as well, these sometimes come with the pump, but often do not

12. ChickenRammit

OK, SO WHEN I PURCHASE THE PUMP, SHOULD I ASK FOR THE SOCK TO GO WITH AND THEY'LL KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT? I'M GONNA GET IT AT A GM DEALERSHIP BY MY HOUSE.

13. dave_90_blazer

they should