Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which traction aid for Dana 60 front?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by One_Ton_k5, Apr 10, 2003.

1. One_Ton_k5

One_Ton_k5 1/2 ton status

Ok, I was going to install an ARB in my 60 front, which I may still do at a later date, but for now I am considering a posi unit for the front.

Do any of you guys run the trac-lok LSD's in your front axle? How do you like them?

[​IMG]

How about a Lockright? This one reuses the standard carrier.

[​IMG]

So what do you all think? I will have an ARB in my Dana 70 rear plus whatever I put in the front.

Thanks.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Why run a selectable locker in the rear and not the front? Seems backwards to me... I'd suggest a Detroit in the rear and the ARB up front. </font>

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i got a deeeee-troit.

no blown selnoids &amp; o-rings fer me!

but i agree with shaggy. If you got an ARB rear, why not front?

4. One_Ton_k5

I know it may seem backwards but I want a truck that is good for many things including driving around without chirping 38's all day long. I have a detroit now and I love it offroad and hate it onroad.

ARB'ed 70 is perfect for me.

need help deciding up front....

5. One_Ton_k5

[ QUOTE ]
    i got a deeeee-troit.

no blown selnoids &amp; o-rings fer me!

but i agree with shaggy. If you got an ARB rear, why not front?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably will eventually but I would like to keep the costs down so I can get these axle's in my truck ASAP.

I may just leave it open for now too but I see these pretty regular on ebay and since I am changing gears.....

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If you want an LSD I'd go for a Power-Loc. They have a pretty tight bias and they are rebuildable. I've *heard* tha the trac-loc has a fairly weak bias. </font>

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have heard from a couple people (FWP being one) that really like the lockright in a front 60. He has had no problems with 37" tires and the lockright on the AZ rocks as far as I know.

Harley

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have a Trac Lock that I ran for years. It steers really good and pulls well but it would "one wheel" if I put the truck in a bind. It's not the ultimate diff but I was not continually plagued with broken parts like some of my friends.

I am retiring my Trac Lock though and will be replacing it with a Power Lock because I do want something a little stronger.

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

If you truly do plan to put an ARB in the front later, I would highly recomend the Lock-Rite. That will be cheaper than a good Track-Lok AND save the gear setup costs. I and several others here in AZ run a LR in a D60 with 42" tires. The D60 LR is huge and beefy, and it doesn't seem to suffer the reliability problems attributed to the much smaller versions found in C10, C12, D44, etc...

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

LSD's are useless up front with big motor/big tire.........you'll overcome the clutches all the time and be pissed. Go selectable or Detroit - I had a Detroit in my D60 front in my K5 and loved it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I run a Power-Lok I like it alot, i have used it on rocks and in snow.

12. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

How is the detroit in the front when your traveling through snow? If you had a detroit front and rear with a BB wouldnt it get pretty loose on ice/snow?

13. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

What about welding? Is that a bad idea? I know that it won't be able to turn as good. But can't I just leave one hub locked till I really need traction then I can lock the other one?

Trey

14. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Welding is only used for the rear if you EVER want to drive on the street again. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif IF you weld front and rear, it would have to be trailered everywhere.

15. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

ill b getting my K30 on good friday with detroits in the front and back. i was kinda wonderin how the hell im gonna get n e where in the winter time with both locked and in 4x4 with a 454. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

NITRO

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

detroit for the front. Dunno why any1 would use anything else. if steering is a problem, add hydro assist.

j

17. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

But if I dont lock my hubs and I am in 2 wheel drive then my steering will not be affected at all, right?

Trey

18. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Right, and if you want to have easy steering on easier parts of the trail yu can unlock one hub, same as if you have to drive in the winter on the road.

19. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

If you are going ARB in the rear, might as well for the front. If you can't afford to do it now, just leave it open, then when you can afford to, do that. If it's there, you have the means, makes the most sense to me.

20. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Welding is only used for the rear if you EVER want to drive on the street again. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif IF you weld front and rear, it would have to be trailered everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know 2 people that drive their welded D60's on the street all the time. Just leave the hubs unlocked.

I have a Trac Lok in mine and it works well. I will eventually upgrade it though. On Donna's K5 her D60 will stay open for now but will eventually have an ARB since it will not get crossover and hydro assist.