Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which traction device?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by evil bastard, May 28, 2000.

1. evil bastard

evil bastard Registered Member

been looking at the new version of the lock right for my 74 12 bolt. was wondering if anyone had any of these. has anyone installed a traction device(s) other than a full detroit? im running 35s, 70% on road use, 2-3 months of snow/ice a year. hope this info helps.

2. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I have the detriot ez locker in my 12 bolt.It was cheap and did'nt require the axle to be reset up by a pro.I have had good luck so far.I put it in over a year ago in a '77 Sub.now it is my blazer.I run 33" tires for now.It survived when the pinion bearing went and ate the housing and gears.I built another 12 bolt with the same locker and carrier but with new gears and bearings.I would recomend It.Brady

3. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I ran an ARB front and rear for 3 years and loved themI now have a detroit in back as with the doubler the ARB will not take the tork with the 6000LBS that blazers are. ARB did send me a new 12 bolt locker that needs a home!

4. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Registered Member

Ok Evil, nice name, having a locker on snow and ice can present a challenge as the torque gets continually passed back and forth between the rear drivers. It can screw you up and throw you into the ditch faster than you can open your next beer. HOWEVER having said all that , If you are aware of the operating parameters of the locker and are prepared to deal with them, run a locker by all means. I can't comment on your particular choice as that is not what I have experience with.

5. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Had a lock-right in my 12 bolt.Completely grinded the teeth in the side gears down.And yes it was properly shimmed and installed.But i had 36 inch tires.I have known other people too have no problems at all.I would say try one but save the stock internals just in case.