Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which Transfer case do I need?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by velocitiii, Dec 19, 2003.

1. velocitiii

velocitiii Registered Member

I haven't bought a truck yet, but what transfer case would suit me best for use in a farm use dump truck with occational on road use. I want a positive drive between front and rear. I'm looking for a late 80's 1 ton. I have heard that some cases allow either the front or rear to spin and then you're done. Is this true?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

NP-205.

3. velocitiii

everyone seems to drool over the 205. Other than really strong are there other advantages, and do other cases lock the front and rear?

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I like my 208 and really dont want a 205(on the truck Im building now) but there are advantages to a 205 besides its strength... you can twin stick it (Front H Front L Front Neutral Rear H Rear L Rear Neutral) No slip yoke so you can put a e-brake on that way and its gear drive im sure theres more but this is what comes to mind when I think of its advantages BTW if you get a 1ton it should have a 205 anyways unless its military

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

you can run a PTO winch off of them. I dunno what you are talking about as far as Locking the front and the rear, but ive never heard of anyone being concerned about that, the only thing that comes to close to sounding like that, is if you put locking hubs on the front of a truck with a 203 and try to move the truck with the hubs unlocked, you wont cuz theres a differential in there, you have to have the Part time kit installed.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

208 work just as well for heavy weight hauling and pulling too, i VERY easily pulled my neighbors 82 1 ton dually crewcab along with a 18 foot car trailer behind it with a car on it and tons of farm junk plus with my truck with 2,000 lbs in back of it without any of my tires slipping even a tiny bit in mud on farm out in country where we are working to clean it up, so really doesnt matter too much what case is in a truck that you may get, as long as it work and isnt broken.
    203 are cool and 208 are cool too, its just that some cases have deeper/lower low ratio in which some offroaders prefer, and soem prefer to have 205 for extreme offroading so they dxont have to worry about the chain wearing out and breaking.

but for normal use such as i am using my 83 k20 for with its original 208 and 465 and 3.73 locking diff setup is proving to be very nice and very effective setup, my neighbor cant believe what this 83 can do, i like it /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif im not surprised, its a K20 and its GM! just wish it was 67-72 or 73-80 instead though, so could have full floater rear axle. but oh well!

good luck

7. velocitiii

How can I tell if I am looking at a 205, and where does the PTO run from? Could I put a hydrolic pump on it?

8. Silver84k5

it comes out of the dirvers side of the tcase, it is a rectangle cover that you take off... as far as running a hydraulic pump, i guess that just depends on your ingenuity and fabbing, or machining skills. as far as identifying it, uhmm........ let me look for a pic.

9. Silver84k5

[​IMG]

for someone who is unsure of how to identify it, just look for that Badge that is in the middle of the case, when you are looking from behind at it.