Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which transmission?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the general, Jan 9, 2005.

1. the general

the general Registered Member

which manual transmission is stronger a SM 465(4 speed) or a NV 4500 ? which has the most transfer case options? i am looking for the ultimate (and want full controle going down hill) whats the best option? and where too buy a complete combo? what will the rpm be? (now got a th 350 np 203 parttime combo,4.88 diffs 38.5 super swampers, 2700 rpm at 60 mls an hour) who nows?:confused:

2. ssls6

ssls6 Registered Member

The NV4500 is rating at 460 ft-lbs input torque. I'm not sure but I think the sm465 is rating a little higher (maybe 465?). Of the two, I think the NV4500 has better gear selections.

regards,
    ssls6 (brand new 72 k5 owner)

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

NV4500 is the better option solely becaues it has OD IMO.

The gear splits 1-4 are very similar to the 465, so that isn't really an improvement, but the OD (for me) would allow better gears, and no penalty on the street, which means better compression braking off road.

4. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm in the process of rebuilding an nv4500 for my blazer. When its done, it will have a doubler bolted to it as well. I have found a few places that have just about everything you would need.

http://www.high-impact.net/ These guys have complete transmissions and transfer cases

http://www.partsmikeparts.com/aaTransferCaseAdapterKits.htm Here is about any adapter you would need.

http://www.quad4x4.com/ These guys have complete transmissions as well as rebuild parts

Just a few ideas to get you started.

Doug

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

If you are comparing maximum torque ratings for each make sure that you compare similar input shaft sizes .

The NV-4500 has an available 1-3/8" diameter input while the Muncie 465 offered a 1-1/2" diameter in a H.D. version . Both tranny's are VERY strong , and what would break one would probably break the other. The main shaft in the NV-4500 is very impressive in size and larger than the 465's IIRC.
    I would think more on long term durrabilty instead of strength when comparing these two tranny's . IMHO I would have a 465 if I had no need for the O.D. and had to rely on it for the next 30 years with out concern of failure - that being said if I needed and O.D. I would not loose any sleep trying to get a couple of hundred thousand miles out of a well maintained NV-4500.
    Tom

6. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i think as far as durability goes, the nv4500 would outlast or at least keep up with the 465. The nv4500 had some problems early on with 5th gear and stuff, but all of those bugs have been worked out. I'm even putting a filter kit in mine just "in case" something happens to it.

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I agree that a 4500 is very durrable and the fith gear nut coming loose seemed to be a Cummins only problem . I would think either one would provide great service life.

Tom

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Is that the filter that goes on the P.T.O port opening ? Are you using one on each side ?

Tom

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have read somewhere that what causes the nut to come loose is the harmonic vibrations of the cummins engine. Gas equipped trucks should be ok, or at least I hope so because we have a '98 C30 with a vortec 454 and NV4500. No problem with it at 80K.

10. BRIAN THOMAS

BRIAN THOMAS Registered Member

sorry neeed the post count so I can post pics. You would think 4 years on here would be good enough?

11. apache

apache 1/2 ton status

Regarding the 5th gear nut dropping it seems to be a Dodge only thing. Being a previous 3 time Cummins/Dodge owner, in stock form Id have to say it sure the hell wasent from the massive power of a stock 5.9 engine. My 6.0 in my Silverado walks all over all 3 Cummins powered trucks everywhere but fuel economy. That being said the shaft 5th gear is on is not full splined and 5th gear basically wobbles on the shaft causing it to back the nut off. Theres been several fixes from welding the nut to a Dodge issues locktite and new nut design offered all with mixed results. The best fix Is a fully splined shaft. Only other drawback I found was the sticker on the trans that said "warning,is Castrol Syntorque(not syntec) trans fluid isnt used all warranties are off" Dodge sold it for $48 a quart locally,the Chevy dealer locally $28 for the same in a GM bottle.