Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which truck for a long trip?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fubeca, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Here's the deal. I have to drive to Minnesota in two weeks for an 8 week internship. My 1991 blazer has had drivshaft vibrations since I put the 14B in and last week the transmission which has been slowly dying for a year started dropping into gear really hard and seems to be on its last leg. I also have a 1982 K(30-10) with a 454, 4sp, etc. that runs pretty good but when it heats up it ticks (maybe lifters?). Anyway, I need to get out there. Which vehicle should I take and what considerations should I be thinking about? Or should I go to plan B and buy a '90s Nissan pickup and sort things out when I get back in August.

Remember if you steer me wrong, I might be calling you at 3am when I break down outside Lakota South Dakota /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

90's nissan, then sell it when you get back, youll save $$$ on gas atleast.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Get a bus ticket, probably run ya about 60 clams with Greyhound... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Great idea, but I have to have something to drive while I'm out there. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

It's always something! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Anyway I wouldn't take the K5 with it's tranny on it's last legs. The Nissan looks like a good idea for comfort and MPGs, if of course it's in good condition...

6. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Why not rent a car, I took one from Denver to Sante Fe and it only cost me 30 bucks a day.

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Well, at 30 per day for 8 weeks...that's 1680 bones total! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif