Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which truck? (newbie)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by UofA_Blazer, Apr 7, 2006.

1. UofA_Blazer

UofA_Blazer Guest

I'm basically looking for a truck to just have fun with....Camping, mainly desert wheelin, some mud. I would like some opinions on which of these are a better choice for the money. I've done some reading but still would like input from those smarter than me.

1) $3500 70 k-5 Blazer all one ton runing gear. 373 gears MP205 Transfer case 350/th350 6 inch sky jacker soft ride lift 35 inch tires. Don't know anything about the body as I haven't look at the truck yet.

2) $2500 1975 chevy k5 blazer 350ci crate engine with 35k. TH350 tranny and NP203 transfer case, 4 inches of suspension lift, 35x12.5 BFG mud terrains on black steel rims with 1k on them

I figure the major plus for #1 is the MP205 transfer case. I'm not sure what the axle rating is on a stock 1975 (3/4 ton??). Is a MP205 a direct swap into the 75? Any input would ne greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2006
  2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would go with the 1970 K5 with the 1 ton running gear, but only if it where put together good. Be careful to look at that truck closely to make sure it was not put together with tape and bailing wire. The 3.73:1 ring/gear diffrentials sounds odd to me for 1 ton running gear (4.10:1 is normal), and may be a warning sign it was not put together well, or is not what the seller is representing it to be. The other truck may be a better bet because it is stock, and is less likely to have been hacked up.

3. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

nothing strange about 3.73's in a 14ff. I know of a 79' GMC with 3.73 Now I don't think danas came with 3.73's at least not from dodge. Only 4.10 or 3.5:doah: 5

4. UofA_Blazer

UofA_Blazer Guest

That's why I'm a little hesitant to go with the 1970, I come from the sports car site of mechanics and I've always been told you try a buy something close to stock so you know it hasn't been jimmy rigged when the last guy was modifying it. $3500 will also be a bit of a stretch for me, I'm just trying to get an idea if the initial "extra" investment now will pay of later with less breakage or what not.

Will a MP205 swap directly into the 75, because that one is gear driven as opposed to the chain driven MP203 correct?

5. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

it is not an MP205 it is an NP205 senor noobie

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

It's probably an 8 lug 10 bolt. If it is truely 60/14, that is worth half the asking price of the truck. Plus it is a fulltop!

7. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

and it is not a direct swap... you will need new driveshafts, and possibly a crossmember, as well as a compatible NP205 to mate to your tranny (splines, adapter, etc).

8. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You might be better off building up your small block engine, Turbo 350, and NP 203. You can build those up to be pretty stout. Then later put some 1 ton running gear on the truck, which will only require custom drive shafts to connect them to your engine, trans, transfer case combo.

You could get yourself a Turbo 400, with an NP 205. This will bolt directly up to a small block 350, and then 1 ton running gear. But there will be some modifications to the trans cossmeber, and some custom drive shafts.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  9. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I love the look of the 69-72 Blazers :bow:. I wish there were more in my area that didn't get rusted to pieces. I say go for the 70, the only thing thats not appealing to me is the fact that its got a slush box tranny, a stick is the only way to go!