Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which Truck Shop Manual is the right one for my K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AuH2O, Nov 1, 2006.

1. AuH2O

AuH2O 1/2 ton status

Ok, so help me out here... Is my '88 K5 Blazer mainly a V-truck or a K-truck? Helm sells both the[FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif]

1988 R/V/G/P Truck Shop Manual Kit
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif]G-Series Van [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif]1988
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif]Light-Duty Trucks (Up To 1986)[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif] 1988[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif]
    P Chassis/Pg Cutaway Chassis
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif] 1988
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif]R/V Pickup/Suburban/Blazer [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif]1988

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif](1) ST33088 - 1988 R/V/G/P Truck Shop Manual
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif](2) ST33388 - 1988 Light Truck Unit Repair
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif](3) ST35088 - 1988 Light Truck Electrical Diagram

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]and the

[FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif]1988 C/K Truck Shop Manual Set
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif]C/K Pickup/Suburban/Blazer [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif]1988

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif](1) ST37588 - 1988 C/K Truck Shop Manual
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif](2) ST37588S - 1988 C/K Truck Shop Manual Supplement
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif](3) ST37588EDM - 1988 C/K Truck Electrical Diagram Manual Supplement
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif](4) ST37588FE - 1988 C/K Truck Shop Manual Supplement
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif](5) ST33388 - 1988 Light Truck Unit Repair
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif](6) ST35088 - 1988 Light Truck Electrical Diagram

Both are $105, so I'd prefer not to order the "wrong" one. The Unit repair and Electrical Diagram are the same in both packages, but should I get the R/V Blazer or the C/K Blazer?? What's the damn difference?? AFAIK, they both stand for the same thing.

Both kits are 3000 pages according to Helm, so wouldn't that mean that the R/V/G/P kit which also covers the G Van etc has less pages dedicated to the Blazer than the C/K kit?

So what do you say guys? :dunno:

Before anyone mentions it, I've tried getting each from factoryautomanuals.com for just $60, but they were out of stock...
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Short answer: It's the first one, R-V.

Long answer:

The "C" (2WD) and "K" (4WD) designations only apply across the light duty truck line for 1973-87.

For 1988-91, there were two sets of trucks:

Most pickups (regular and extended cabs) got a new body style and kept the C and K designations in 1988.

Blazers (Jimmies), Suburbans, and crewcabs (Bonus cabs, various cab-n-chassis', etc) kept the old body style and were given the R (2WD) and V (4WD) tag to differentiate them.

Make more sense?

Helm is on crack with the second one, as there is no Burb/Blazer in C/K for '88.

-- A

3. AuH2O

AuH2O 1/2 ton status

Thanks! Both for the short and long answer. One R/V manual ordered.