Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which Tubing?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RGV72BLAZER, Jan 21, 2007.

1. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    I'm in the early process of getting material for a 8-10 pt cage of my '72 blazer. i also plan to add a stinger style to the front bumper and maybe some tubing on the rear bumper. also, i may make my rock sliders out of tubing. any suggestions on whether to use DOM or HREW?? also i'd like to use a 1 3/4" tubing? would this be sufficient or should i go bigger? finally any suggestions on wall thickness? thanks.

2. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

buddy of mine works on pre runners and race trucks for baja and he said the race trucks they use dom cause they got the cash and most of the prerunners they just use seamed .. just make sure seam is on inside edge when you bend .... he wants to cage his ramcharger with seamed 2" .120 wall and he sounds confident it will hold up out heavy trucks so ill end up doing the same in my blazer

3. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

If you have the extra cash go DOM on the cage, or extra gussets on HREW

HREW on every thing else.

4. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

On my main hoop and diagonal/rear braces I'm going to use 2"x.25 4143 chromoly.

Everything else I'll use 1.75"/2"x.120

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

1/4" thick chromo main hoop is WAY overkill. The main reason most guys run chromo is for the fact it is stronger so you can run a thinner wall. .120" chromo will be almost twice as strong as .120" DOM mild steel man. You are doing nothing but making your rig heavier than necessary. You are talking about using chromo for EVERYTHING right?

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I did 2" HREW on my truck. I have an 8pt cage in my K5. AZ-K5 designed & built it. It is a budget built cage that he said is plenty strong for what we do. We used 2" HREW for the maintubes & 1" HREW for triangluation gussets. I used some 1.5" HREW for spreaders & gussets also. Eventually I will add more spreaders & more triangulation as money & time permit.

DOM is a great option if you can afford it but it ups the cost a decent amount.

Harley

7. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I used 2 inch DOM .120 wall for everything. Sliders are a combo of DOM and rectangular. I wanted a little overkill on what protects me and the rig. I have dented the tubing part of the slider but that was a slam down after putting the nose skyward. I landed with most the weight on a rock under the slider. Not anywhere close to tearing the tube and dent is very shallow.

Here are a couple pics also.

ck51.jpg

LKB Crystal Mill 030_1.jpg

RTI 021_550x412.jpg

PC010114.JPG

PC300031.JPG

8. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Excellent point :D !
    And yes, everything will be same grade/quality. But the .25 will only be in the main structure (main hoop, braces).
    This may sound stupid but I'm building it that way to withstand multiple rollovers. Not horizontal, but angular as in cliffs, mountainsides, etc. Here in Idaho there are fireroads that hug mountainsides pretty much like Colorado's fireroads.
    And my rig will easily be over 5000lbs anyway.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ok just making sure you know what are you planning.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

depends almost entirely on design and the amount of tube. You could probably make a completely safe cage out of 1-5/8" 0.095" wall tube if it was designed right. It'd look like a jungle gym gone crazy, but it would work. :thumb: I am using 1.75" x 0.120 wall DOM and have absolutely no doubt it will keep me safe from everything short of dropping the rig out the back of a C-130 from 1000'. :thumb: At any rate, the more "clean" you want it to look (the least amount of tube, less triangulation etc) the larger / bigger tube you'll need.

j

11. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Back in '97 I built my '95 Toyota Supra TT to run the Nevada Open Road Challenge with a rollcage of NASCAR specs.

I plan on doing something similar with my K5. Triangulation will be basically from axle to axle.