Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which type fan to use?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by roostr3269, Apr 21, 2002.

1. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

Well, i will be getting the Jimmy back Monday with the radiator and gas tank installed. I was going to go with a straight fan, but now i am hearing that i should run a clutch fan. Also i was told, if not a clutch type mech. fan, then i should go with an electric fan setup. It seems like anyone i talk to has a diffrent answer. I'm just not sure about running an electric fan because of mud and sand causing it problems, but i like the idea of getting full air flow at lower speeds. any ideas? Thanx in advance. p.s. Running a reverse rotation water pump.

2. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

I am running a direct fan with a 160 degree thermostat and never had a problem with that combo in the heat. When winter hits I just pop in a 190 thermo and it gives me plenty of heat.................

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you are running a reverse rotation water pump make sure you use the reverse rotation fan as well or you will have overheat troubles.

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I am going to go with two thermo controlled 14" electrics with shut off for water crossing... someday /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

5. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

i was told the a <font color=green>green</font color=green> on will boost your horse power.....

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of moving over to electric also since I am doing water crossings. If you go electric try and find a F#*d Thunderbird or Lincoln Mark VII fan. They are about 20" and have a built in shroud and two speed drive.

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

What about having a electric pusher fan in addition to a mechanical? I am thinking about this for my truck. I heard that its hard to beat the air flow you get with a mechanical fan, so I am weary of changing over completely. Also have had battery issues before and a mechanical needs no power to run.