Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which U-joint to use?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Jun 25, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Okay here is the deal...I am nearing the end of my auto --> manual conversion and about to install my 6 inch lift (up from 2-1/2") I know I need a new rear driveshaft (duje to the switch form the 208 to the 205 t-case) now can I go ahead and give Jesse a call and have him build me a one-ton CV...but I don't have a 14bff YET (that is the next thing on my list) what u-joint do I need to use with a one-ton CV and a 10B axle...I figure I can have Jesse make tha shaft just a hair short to accomodate for the longer pinion snout on the 14bff...so which u-joint will it be?

Thanks

Chris

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Have Jesse put a 1 ton flange on the shaft and then just use the Napa# 447 u-joint. Its the same thing as having a 1/2 ton driveshaft and a 14 rear.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I hope jesse tells you where to stick NAPA u joints.
    why risk destroying a good shaft with junk joints

4. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Well I guess if you dont like Napa joints, at least you have the # to crossreference somewhere else. I just happened to know that # because the guys at the local Autozone werent smart enough to find the correct one. Anyways, Ive never personally had a problem with Napa joints.

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

447 for inner c-clip style, 348 for outer snap ring style. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. Zeus33rd

Also, mj....Not to step on your toes or anything, But what experience or knowledge do you have that makes you believe that Napa u-joints are "junk"?

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

hehehe , don't worry about steppin' on MJ's toes, you won't offend him any....But I'd like to hear why also MJ. Make with the info please...

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

put them side by side and look at them.
    they are made by the cheapest bidder.
    I have fought with no name parts too many times.
    I think Napa must be different down there, as here they are the most expensive place that sells total crap reboxed.
    many of you seem to like Napa so you cannot be walking into the same place that I am.
    I really started hating them when they bought out Auto Marine Electric, one of the best local parts places. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

hmmm, hard to read that.
    friend or foe? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

10. Zeus33rd

Hmmm, I just looked at the box for the Napa u-joint I just bought...It says they are made by Federal-Mogul. Definatley not no name parts. Do you have actual hands on experience with breakage or something? Hehe, Once again, I mean no offense or anyting....Just curious why ya feel the way you do...... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

if it says federal mogul you are in for serious trouble.
    I have one of those gems here on my bench.
    it isnt the correct size.
    after trying to install the POS for my brother and being unable to seat the clips I decided to forego the usually 4# hammering and measure the dam thing.
    lo and behold the inside snap ring grooves are way out of spec compared to my spicer book.
    back to the parts store
    counter boy, after giving me a 'yeah right', measures it up and compares it to the Fed Mog book. yup still the wrong size. try some more from the shelf, all wrong size.
    so we run up to the Dana dealer and pick up some nice spicers for nearly the same money, and they slip in just fine.
    wait there is more
    I had told a buddy that we were doing all the u joints on lil bros truck and he swings by the next day to have his done. yup, you guessed it the same parts guy sold him the same wrong size ujoints. I kept that gem on the shelf to remind me to never take new parts as being correct parts(dam I mighta pitched that ujoint in the move, I hope not)
    double check the specs before laying the hammer to that badboy

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Friend, or atleast indifferent to the way you reply or post... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif You bring good info to the table and I'm always ready to listen, maby not agree but aways ready to listen.... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

that, sir, is a perfect response /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Must have been you actually made a grin face... So are you saying you've had the best results w/ spicer?

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

well there used to be a dana and a spicer joint
    the dana was good
    the spicer was real nice,
    it had cool blue silicon seals rather then rubber,
    impervious to petro chemicals
    stayed pliable over wide temperature range
    now the seals are all black I believe, they said they were still silicon when the change first happened but who knows
    my truck has some pretty bad driveline angles and I figure every advantage I can give is worth it.
    plus the cross was bigger, cleaner looking workmanship(means nothing really)

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

What do you think about the life of a U joint in general, i.e. what kind of a time frame are we lookin' at between brands, and no not stuffing the wrong size in w/ a hammer time, hehehe....No matter the drive line angle ( I would think ) the life of the U joint would be the same , for the best and the worst.So one year for the cheaper joints and 18 months for the better joints, just as an example. Any thoughts on this /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

17. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I just changed mine to spicer's and they had a blue seal, Don't know if it was rubber or silocone but it was blue /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Matches my truck /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

James