Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which way do you do it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fabjunkie, Aug 14, 2006.

?

How do you drive your studs?

1. BFH with a BF brass punch

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Shop press

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  3. Do it nekkid with the "other" hammer

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  1. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

No, not which way you swing. :rolleyes: How do you take out/put in lug studs? I'm really too lazy to pound them out so I was thinking about using this as an excuse to buy a shop press. Nothing big, just a 12 ton from Northern. I figure a shop will probably want $50 or so and I can get the press for about a bill, and it's another tool in the corral. So should I get a big brass punch and hammer away or get a press?

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I have always used a hammer and punch but I believe a press is the correct way to do it.

3. balterbuilt

balterbuilt 1/2 ton status

i've used a hammer but it never seemed to toatlly seat. I've also put the tire and wheel on it and tried tightening the lug nuts to pull them in. Shop press is 1,000,000 times easier IMO.

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I really hate having an excuse to buy a new tool or two :whistle:

I'll go buy a new tool for the lamest of reasons, including having recently had to use the wrong tool for the job (but getting it done OK anyway) - because if I buy the tool that I should have had to do that last project, then I'll never be at a loss for that tool again. Most of us love to buy new (or even used) equipment, even if we might sometimes cringe a little at the cost of some items.

Buy a press! You'll use it for lots of things, and you really need that press. In a way, it's your sworn duty to build and maintain a properly equipped shop.

5. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

The only downfall to getting a press is that I'll be moving soon and it's another big item to fit in the truck, but I guess, what's another 8" or so to pack? Looks like I'll be taking a trip to Northern tonight.

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

never use a lug nut to draw a stud to seat. they aren't designed that way and can snap off or easly fubar the hole in the hub.

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Press
    I spell "M"
    "A"
    "N"
    "MAN"
    "MAAAIIN"
    :haha:

8. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you are going to buy a press the orange one is the one most get, but if you are going to be using it alot get the red one, its not just the greater capacity that is nice it is how the bar that the head is on is held onto the press the orange one used two peices of C channel (loosy goosy) and the red one uses two peices of tube that fit inside each other( not so loose ). This is of course only if you have the money as the price difference is huge

shop press.gif

shop press 1.gif

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Whichever you get, take those two retraction springs off, toss 'em. Find some other way to lift the bottle.
    Nasty stuff when those springs go.
    Right at eye level.

10. balterbuilt

yeah it doesn't work so well, but i was 19 and didn't know any better:D It did hold a couple of them on though:doah:

11. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I was going to get the orange one. I think it would fit my needs fine for now. It would just be for doing little stuff like wheel studs, bearing races, stuff like that. I went up there today but they were out of stock and had no clue when they would get any more. The comp said the other store had one, but I didn't feel like driving across town. Maybe tomorrow.

It also dawned on me that I think we have one in the shop at work. :doah: I'm going to look tomorrow.

12. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

I bought the 12 ton from Harbor Freight. Does everything I've wanted it to so far,good investment.

13. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Well, we don't have one in the shop here, so I just called Northern and none of the 4 stores here have any, so I got Harbor Freight to hold one for me. Now I just hope that they don't sell it to someone else. :crazy:

14. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Well I went to HF today and ended up with the 20 ton. Their 12 ton was $135 compared to Northern's $109, but to be able to pick it up today instead of an unknown week or two, I couldn't complain too much. So I have them holding one for me just in case and when I get there, I see that the 20 ton is on sale for $179, down from $249. Well as any tool conscious gear head knows, bigger is better, and for another $45 I just couldn't walk away from it.

Seeing how weak the 12 ton looked in person helped my decision a little too. Now the 20 ton needs a little help here and there, but seems to be a much better deal overall. I think I'm going to do like BadDog did to his shown a little down in this thread. So if anyone is thinking about getting one, go now and get the 20 ton on sale.

15. balterbuilt

i made one similar to the die in the link above and it really does wrok well (with a 20 ton HF press too).

16. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used these and they worked great.

35306.jpg

17. balterbuilt

a little info on what those are? Look like fancy lug nuts to me.

18. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ya thats pretty much what they are but made to pull in the stud rather than pound or press. They worked like a charm with zero thread damage. Those are a Snap-on wheel stud kit....around $50.00 You could make 1 by using a piece of DOM as a spacer with a lug nut and a rim...Ive done that with no problems as well.