Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which way to go for a lift kit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by moturbopar, Jan 23, 2006.

buy or build my lift for 91 suburban?

1. my 2.5" procomp lift, with blocks with 33" tires.

0 vote(s)
  2. buy a tough country 4" full spring kit and 34.10.50s

14 vote(s)
  3. my 2.5 procomp with relocated, front shackle, rear shacle flip 14" shocks 35" tires

1 vote(s)
  4. 54" front springs, rear shackle flip, 14" shocks, x over steering and 37-12.50 17s

13 vote(s)
  1. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

Feb 9, 2005
    Ok I was going to order a lift kit for my 91 sub, but not sure I want to go this route anymore. I want the suburban to do well offroad, but still be nice to drive on and off road. I dont mind building my own lift kit, I did this with my blazer. I was happy with its offroad performance but it was a little soft on road, I think this was mostly due to the super soft shock valving and the worn out rear springs(flexed very well).I would like the suburban to be a good street driver too, but not super important. Anyways I have listed in the poll which setups I am considering, if you guys have any suggestions on what I have lister or have any other ideas let me know.
  2. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

Jan 17, 2006
    if u want a good ride on and off-road then get a good set of adjustable shock like the rancho 9000es with 9 adjustments u will be suprised at the differnt comformts
  3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Feb 27, 2000
    It's an odd set of options you have. What are you wanting to do, what kind of terrain, how large tires?

I'd say blocks in the back will suck. A shackle flip, while a PITA initially, will leave you lots of options for rear springs, from your current stockers to 56"s or other fun stuff.

My medium build was 4" lift springs up front -- I used Rancho, but I'd recommend TC or BDS instead -- and a flip out back with the stock springs.

I later went to 52/56 and while flexy, I can't imagine DDing the thing. This is a dedicated rock/trail rig, though... whatcha planning on doing with yours?

-- A
  4. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Feb 19, 2001
    I'd go with good soft ride 4" springs up front and do the shackle flip in the back. If the rear springs are too soft... I'd take out the overloads and put in a 1" add-a-leaf. 4" will allow you to run 33's no problem and you could sqeeze in a set of 35's (some people say they rub a little, some say they don't...just depends on your springs and driving style I guess)
  5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Jul 17, 2004
    I have 5" up front with a shackle flip/zero trate in the rear. 35's rub a little but not bad and only offroad. Road manners are great.