Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which way to go?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by homie77, Aug 9, 2002.

1. homie77

homie77 Registered Member

Thinking of going with 8in rear springs or 4in rear springs and shackle flip. What do the members of CK5 think? All comments welcome.

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i'd say if you going to tow...go with the all spring

if not the 4 inch with shackle flip will flex much nicer

3. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Me thinks that you better buy stock in "Spicer"...as in U-Joints.What size tire are you planning on running?That's alot of lift.....hence alot of mods!But if you are dead set on the amount of lift,I'd go with the shackle flip and 4" lift springs.There is another plan or two.You could use a 1 ton shackle mount(gives about 5" lift),extended rear shackles(Desert Steel..2" lift),pair of "Zero Rates"(1" lift).This should give a nice soft and flexy ride.Mike

4. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Yea, that's a ton of lift for a short wheelbase vehicle. In a pickup, would probably be no problem but that rear driveshaft is going to cost you a small fortune and those extreme angle cvs have limited life expectancy and usually not freeway driveable. Unless you are going to throw some rockwells under it... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Any spings over 6" get very stiff and your off-road performance will actually decrease (unless you are building a mud truck or something just for show). What tire size do you want to use? If you are dead set on 8" I'd say have some dropped front mounts fabricated and use 6" springs in the front and the shackle flip with 4" in the rear. That will still give you some flex.

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Number one question is what all are you going to do with the truck? Any towing?