Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which weight oil?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stoney126, Dec 5, 2005.

1. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

hi all, i have a rebuilt 454 with 87000 total miles on it, which weight should i use on it? 10-40?
    thanks for any info

2. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

whats yer climate? I would stick with the factory recommendation. Also look into the oils for high mileage (over 75000 miles).

3. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Don't know about that high mileage stuff. Know of many people with 150,200 even 300K that only ran regular oil. That being said I just came back from a machine shop that wont run any API "S"rated oil on their dyno motors. They would use API "C"(diesel) oil. The newer oils have a lot less anti-wear additives in them for the more strict emission requirements. I seen a tech article that showed 15w-40 diesel oil had upto 80% more anti-wear additives in them. This can't be condoned for newer cars since some of the additives could contaminate emission control devices(02,cat) on cars/light trucks.

Also back in '89/90 I read another tech article that GM basically didn't like 10w40 oils because they caused more carbon build up on the rings.

4. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

depends on out side temp and use. i run 5-30 in the blaze and im happy with it. on the other hand my commute car i run 10-40 since its all highway driving. it doesnt get cold here either

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Does your 454 use oil? Every 454 we've been around does. Our '76 C30 454 uses a fair amount and even our '98 Vortec 454 uses a quart about every 2K. If you are using oil then I'd go 20W-50 as long as you aren't getting below 30-35* or so during winter.

If you are interested in a high quality anti wear oil I'd suggest, Mobile 1, Redline, or Amsoil. Amsoil has a lot more types and grades of oil than the other two though.

6. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

Rotella T is an excellent conventional if you don't want to fork over for sythetics.

7. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

Wow thanks for the info guys, hehe wasnt expecting so many awnsers lol. The coldest it gets here is about 40 at night. Im not sure if it using alot of oil being that I havent had the truck for very long but Ill keep my eye on it. The truck isnt by any means a daily driver, it will see alot of weekend use. Thanks alot for the info guys .

8. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Well I run full synthetic in the newer Mustang, 10w-30 Dino in the K20. And in the all original 63 Merc I run the high mileage stuff. Just dont get some no name $.89 a quart or recycled crap. Dont have any problems. Change it regularlly and its all gravy!!

9. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

Well, Ive alway run conventional. Over the years Ive leared that if you read the back of the (box/quart) it will tell you the company that refines it..For example Ashland refines Valovine and sells it at a higher price cheaper NAPA oil is also refined by Ashland there the same oils..A nother example is Harley Davidson Oil (what a joke!!!!!!) presently it's sunco they take the lowest bidder every year and slap there name on it..Ive heard of some guys running diesel oil in gas motors witch is not a good Idea because the primary diffrence between diesel and gas oil is the amount of detergent's in the diesel oil...