Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which winch, high speed or brute power

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5TRLBLZR, May 8, 2006.

1. K5TRLBLZR

K5TRLBLZR Registered Member

My deleama is do I go with brute pulling power or or give up some for faster line speed? I have a HS9500 but is it enough for a 1st gen BBC I ton with a doubler. Or should I go with a M12000? What and why? LMK

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

id say ramsey patriot 15000 or grrrr im gonna say this only cuz it is bigger... warn 16.5 or is it a 16???? I forget but...

I was in the same delema as you...

I have a heavy fullsize.... detroits front and back..... couple that with steel wheels and tires that love to dig to china in mud..... what do you have?

A REALLY STUCK HEAVY CHEVY!!!! :haha:

anyway... I have heard people say... they want a fast line speed so people dont get mad at them on the trail.... well sorry but they can kiss my ass... if I am stuck I am stuck.. any movement is progress.. they can wait.... :shame:

I havent got to use my winch yet.... havent been out much.... also when I have been out I have tried to get stuck.... just havent found a deep enough spot yet.... but all I can say is I did use the winch to pull on a tree... and the guy that pulled my cable out was shocked at how thick the cable was..... 90' of 7/16 cable opposed to his 120' of 3/8"!!!!!!

Id say go big.... WAY BIG....

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I have the warn 8274 up front and the POS Mile Marker E12,000 in the rear.

4. OffroadOverstock

OffroadOverstock 1/2 ton status

Warn, what ever you do. I think there is a CK5 special on the 12000# in the vendors section!

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

A 9500 lbs winch should be plenty as long as its a Ramsey or warn. Stay away from Milemarker, T-Max, or any of the other chinese winches.

I would run what you have now until it breaks.

I ran a Ramsey 9500 on my heavy 1 ton K5 and it pulled me up some serious inclines with no issues and its still going strong!!!

6. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

I say go with brute strength... slow is better than stuck.

7. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

It really depends on what you are expecting to do in the truck. If you play in deep mud all of the time you may want to get the bigger winch, but if you are trailriding it on a regular basis than the faster winch is usually better to have.

I have a Ramsey 9000 on my K5 (1-tons, dual lockers, 38's, etc...) and never had any issues with it. However I've never technicallly used it when I was stuck. Every time I've needed it is because I could not go any further up the trail........steep hill, rock ledge, etc... though I could still back up.

9. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Deep mud get brute strength. If you don't venture in mud much the 9500 lbs will do wonders. I have freinds who have used 8274s for years on fullsize trucks. I don't know about other poeple but my main problem when I get stuck muddin is anchors usually have to anchor 4 or 5 trucks together. That being said only twice that we stalled the 8274 had to triple line it both times

10. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A slow winch, even a worm gear one, is still a lot faster than getting out the snatch block and double-lining a fast winch.

I've stalled my Mile Marker E12000 before... but that was winching both my fatass truck and a porker of a 4Runner... uphill... through slop. When he got hung up on his crossmember it stopped my winch dead in its tracks. His 8274-50 couldn't even pull him down the hill, largely because there was too much cable on the drum.

My alternator couldn't keep up with it and it sucked down my dual 1100CCA batteries until the solenoids wouldn't even stay engaged (which is roughly at 6v by the way). It was the only time that my winch got hot enough that it was uncomfortable to touch.

It takes about four minutes of winching for me to drain my batteries.

Don't cheap out on the cable. I used 2/0 cable and I'm pretty sure that's the main reason why I'm happy with my E12000.

Even my slow E12000 spools cable in fast enough with no load that you can't easily wrap the cable neatly by yourself. So, unless you're competing I wouldn't worry about a fast winch. Worst case you can wrap the cable around your bumper until you get out of everyone's way.

11. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Slow and strong will get you out. The only time I like a fast line speed is when I am donw winching and am spooling the cable back in.

12. RootBreaker

hah that is what I figured... I found some on ebay... got 3/0 for the price of 2/0 so I went BIGGER!!!!

13. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I normally pay $1.51/foot for mine but if I buy more than 30ft at a time they give it to me for $1.11/foot. I think I have around 40' sitting on the shelf right now for the new wheeling rig.

14. K5TRLBLZR

K5TRLBLZR Registered Member

Thanks for the input. The HS9500 is new in the box so if I was going to trade out it would be worth more to keep that way. I had a Pierce 12500 before but you could kill a 6 pack waiting for it to get the job done.
    I think I'll do a little more research.:crazy:

15. RootBreaker

id take killin a 6 pack while waiting other than waiting for a towtruck or recovery truck to get me out!!!! :haha: