Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which winch? Hydralic or Electric

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chvyhs, Feb 21, 2001.

1. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I debating which winch to get. What are the pros and cons of each?

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

It mostly depends on what you use it for, but in general I prefer the electric winches for trail use. On the trail you usually only need a short pull, plus you can still use the winch if the vehicle's engine is not running. Sure, you can't run it very long without draining the battery but I have seen many vehicles use the winch after the engine had stalled to pull them out of a creek or back over on four wheels and still be able to start the engine with no problems. The electrics are also much easier to mount.
    The hydraulics have an advantage if you use the winch a lot for long pulls.

3. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well I am gonna say get a WARN Elec. winch. Service and Warranty second to none, that is IF you have to use it. Ramsey service SUCKS.

The electric will work off just a battery, with the vehicle not running, you can even borrow a battery if yours dies. Ever try swapping a hydrolic or power steering pump from vehicle to vehicle, and if your engine is not running it wont make a difference anyway. Hydrolics are STRONG but SLOW. If you are doing tow truck style winching then go Hydrolic, if you are wheeling Electric hands down.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</A>

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

***WARN***
    I just got a HS9500i and it is AWSOME!!!!!
    I used it to pull our duck blind out of the lake and up the boat ramp. That winch lasted the whole time just fine.
    I Like electric better for offroading, but some folks do use hydolic for off roading too and they have no complaintes. Well untill they swamp their motor crossin a river and are unable to winch out of the river to get the motor runnin again...........

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Wouldn't you just be 10 times better off to use PTO than hydraulic in any case? I can't see why, if the engine has to be running, you would bother with hydraulic. From what everyone else has been saying, the hydraulics don't hold up as well as the electrics anyway. My two choices then, would be between electric or pto!

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

6. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I would go the electric route. Between all the mounting options and available parts + warranties it would be ludicrous not too. Yeah your up a creek when your engine dies and you have a hydraulic. And who really wants to mess with more complicated gearing and mounting with a pto? Me I would rather deal with adding an extra battery and running the necessary wiring and be done with it. Remeber that a$$ Murphy will visit you when you dont want him to in any case.

[​IMG]

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

For general vehicle recovery, the electric is it. I'd get a warn, probably an hs9500 or an 8274. Personally, I have a hydraulic that runs on it's own belt drive pump, and it's a great setup, but it's overkill for most of my winching and was complicated to put together. One nice thing about it is when it's time to pull, you just get started and do it, no waiting on anything to cool off. It'll reel the cable in time after time at high speeds with no problems. But, unless you're running trail boss duties, that doesn't happen much.
    I'm also running a spool valve for the control, so I can reel in at inches/ min, or something like 40 ft/min, I like the control. The higher speed electrics are a bit tricky to spool up if they don't have a load.

But overall, if you want something you can mount and use easily, WARN is it.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't think there is anything complicated about PTO, slightly more so than electric. You bolt on the PTO unit to the transmission, you run a driveshaft to the winch, put a cable operated switch to the PTO unit, and you are done. The PTO will never wear out, no matter how much you use it, and you can pll your truck in half if you like. Plus they are amazingly (IMO) cheap for used ones. But I can see the appeal of electric.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I could be wrong, but I think the PTO gearbox (on NP205) on works with the transfer in neutral. We've got PTOs (for a generator) on our M1031 Contact Trucks. If the PTO won't engage in lowrange you've lost some abilty to extracate yourself really bad situations. Maybe if got time today I check to see if they can be engaged in range.

10. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I've driven wreckers before and I've used Electric for vehicle (self) recovery. Let me put it to you this way, if you don't NEED a winch, hydraulic is great, those that will depend on a winch to get them out of trouble, Electric is the only choice. My reasoning for this is simple. Yes hydraulics may beable to pull all day IF:!:! You don't boil the fluid (easy with anything hydraulic), you have a motor that will spin the pump in any position. This includes inverted, and at extreme angles. It seems to me that the only option for this would be an electric motor like drag racers use for water pumps and what not. Either way, you basically have an electric winch! And if you have the money to be replacing expensive components. The hydraulic worked great as a wrecker's winch. This was because it never left the road and was doing multiple recoverys. Now, the reason that an electric is better is simple. Its virtually impossable to have an electric fail on you if taken care of properly. You may think that this applies to Hydro's also. Well this is a little different. What I"m talking about is taking short pauses, as opposed to replacing power steering fluid, pumps, adding coolers, being concerned with fluid lines, and also did you know its almost impossable to steer & winch with a hydro? What good is that? EVERY TIME I've winched I've had to steer & winch. You have to get even more and expensive parts to steer & winch with a hydro. If you truck is inverted, you can upright and restart with an electric. Even if you have to swap out batteries with another vehicle, you can still recover your own vehicle. I've never seen how long I can winch before the batteries die, but I've got a hellroaring BIC 75300. It can go a good ammount of time. It does depend on the batteries though. Oh, here is another good one, if you happen into a deep puddle, and your power steering pump gets wet, YOU AIN'T GOT NO WINCH, YOU AIN'T GOT NO WINCH! Better call your buddy with the WARN, cuz, your butt ain't getting out with that milemarker. May as well as set a 150lb brick on the front of the truck, because it ain't movin. The power steering pump is a heck of a lot lower then the intake on the motor. You decide which will become inop before the other one! Even if the motor does stop running, you still have battery power. Need more? How about versitility, how easy is it for a hydro to be relocated to teh rear of your vehicle, or if you have multiple vehicles? yes it can be done, but no where as easy as a electric. With an electric all you have to do is run heavy guage battery (I use welding cable) to the back of the vehicle, or vehicles. With a hydro, you need the lines and upgraded support equipment. You can winch with stock electric components, and stock hydro components. The difference is, if you drain you battery, you have to wait for it to recharge, then you can winch again, burn up a pump, or fluid, call that buddy with the warn again. If he doesn't have caller ID by now because of how often you calling due to that mile marker brick on your truck.

Now, I'll finish with this, I'm military. I've NEVER seen a hydraulic winch on any of our vehicles as a self recovery. The only Hydraulic winches we have are Ramsey's on the wreckers. All of our trucks have Warns & a few ramseys. A friend is in the arms, and you know Milemarkers ad saying that the military (army) is using mile marker? B.S! Mile marker gave the military some hydros, but they are still produced and used with electric with the exception of some test beds.

I hope that this gives you some insight, but if somebody GAVE me a hydro, I'd sell it and buy a REAL winch. hell, I'd take a superwinch before a Hydro. I got my hs95i 1-2 weeks after its release, and I love it. Its never let me down, and I doubt it will.

Corey
    88K5

If it ain't <font color=red>warn, be warned</font color=red>! it won't work, or it will fail when you need it!

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez</A>

11. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Corey,

You might want to check out the new HMMWV's. They're coming in with the Milemarker winches. How well they work is hard to tell since most of the time the vehicle will live and die without the winch being used in the AF.

Smitty

12. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have an HS9500i and I love it. It pulls great and is pretty fast.

I have never seen a hyd. unit in action, but like Depdog said, if your battery dies, you can borrow others to get you out...

I was going ot buy Ramsey.... Then I found an incredible deal on my Warn and couldn't pass it up... Then a few friends bought Ramseys, and now I am glad I went with the Warn!!! Both have the REP8000 and both of them have problems with the solenoid box which hinders winching.........

Buy WARN!!!!!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

13. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all of the information. It looks like I'll be getting an electric Warn. What is the right size for a K5 loaded down with equipment and how good is the reciever mounted style?