Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which winch? Ramsey REP9000 or Warn HS9500 or XD9000?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txbartman, May 30, 2002.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I am looking at getting a winch for my rig. I plan to mount it under the radiator support between the frame rails. due to clearance issues, it has to be one with the separate control pack.

I am comparing the Ramsey REP 9000. Its only 33 FPM @ no load, but 10.6 FPM @ 6000 lbs and 335 A. The XD9000 is 38 FPM @ no load, 8.67 FPM @ 6000 and 330 A. The HS9500 has the same motor (4.6HP) and gearing (156:1) as the XD9000, but it is faster and stronger. It is rated at 9500 lbs with 62 FPM @ no load or 9.31 FPM @ 6000 and 305 A.

As far as price goes, the Ramsey is $875 while the XD9000 is $844 and the HS9500 is $909.

Which should I get for general self-recovery? What is the real difference between the XD9000 and the HS9500?

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

IF you check sams offroad website there prices are generally better than other places. IE: the REP 9000 is $663 at Sam's. I still say they are a bunch of A$$holes but if you can overlook that, the guys at the counter you can save some money.
    I just bought a RE12000R from Sams for $900, alot cheaper than any where else I could find. You can talk them down if your standing there with cash.
    The RE12R is a worm driven winch that sacrifices speed for Hi Torque / Low amperage draw (compared to the planetary drive).
    The problem with mine is in will not fit between the frame rails with the fairlead centered because of its size. The good thing about the worm gear winches is they provide more torque at lower amperage draw.

3. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

You do anything that gets you into deep bog mud?

Ken H.

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I ran the mud bog at my last competition in March, but don't have plans to do it again. I will cross deep mud/water if and only if it is on the trail, but I won't be running deep mud bogs anymore. I just don't like the maintenance impact.

5. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

Ive talked to the guys @ sam's too, and totally agree wit DP, they all stuckup and snobby, but money is money, right?

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I am using the HS9500i I know you want to mount inbetweent he rails so you may want to get the Ramsey cuz last I checked the worm drive type from Ramsey is lowprofile and the fairlead lines up dead center of the winch were as the Warn is to the right cuz most all the motor on hte Warn is on the left thus shifting the fairlead mount to right side of the winch.
    i hope that was clear??
    Oh ya another thought to conceder is when winding the cable back in or when winching it is way more difficult to keep the line from stackin up on one side with a 'hidden' type mount.
    Just a thought!

7. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I got my hs9500i from these guys a few weeks ago <a target="_blank" href=http://www.clemson4wheel.com/c4w.htm>http://www.clemson4wheel.com/c4w.htm</a>. It was 840 with free shipping. I think the 9500 was a little cheaper.

I'd go with warn just because the warranty is great, and parts are easy to get.

BIGJ