Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which winch?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrpoorboy, Jan 5, 2006.

1. mrpoorboy

mrpoorboy Registered Member

i am going to purchase a warn winch this month. i do not under stand why a 12,000 lb. model and a 9.5ti or similar model cost about the same. it would make sense to get the 12,000 lb., more winch for the buck. are the 9.5 and similar model better and why? which winch? thanks

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

8274-50 :thumb:

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

t.i has better electronics, and is packaged as 1 piece. I went for another model because I wanted a lower installed height.

4. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Oh ya'....:waytogo:

5. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

6. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

I have a 3/4 Sub and need a winch.Should I buy the Warn 12000lb or the Warn 8274?Seems like everybody loves the 8274 but does it have enough a$$ for my truck without double lining it?

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The 8274 has never left my 3/4ton burb stranded, and I tip the scales at around 7800lbs :eek1:

8. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

Do you find yourself having to double line it often?

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

only double lined it once, never on my self tho.....what pulling a semi out of a ditch.

10. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

DAMN i think that winch will work for your burb:D :bow:

11. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The 8274 has pretty much the highest line speed of any winch. It is underrated at 8000 lbs. and even if you need to double line it, the winch will pull plenty fast (as fast as the other warns at single pull). It is reliable, The 12000 lb. Warn is slow. Stick with something from warn in the 8000-9500 lb. range and you can't go wrong.

12. mrpoorboy

mrpoorboy Registered Member

is a ramsey just as good as a warn? past post say stay away grom milemarker. any opinions?

13. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I looked into this heavily...
    if you can find an old mile marker... ones made in the usa buy it... they are cheap and reliable.... a few guys on ps.com have them and they work great.. few people bought the newer ones and they break on the first or second pull!!!!:doah:

Also if you want to go hydraulic mile marker is good as im going to put one of them up front on my truck... the 12k...

so I am left with Ramsey and Warn.... well I got one hell of a deal on a Ramsey so...

a Ramsey Patriot 15,000 with wireless remote is on the back of my truck....
    something else to consider is this...
    in a post above... the 8750 or whatever it is, is a faster winch...

well if your stuck and moving at 5' a minute or 20' a minute... sorry but at least you are moving.... there is a reason why some are slower... that is called a lower gear ratio....

supprisingly everyone will tell you to run 5:13's with 36's but want the fastest line pulling winch for their truck and not the lowest geared :haha:

dude...search and see what you can find as the best deal..
    warn 8750, warn 9.5ti, warn 12k, ramsey 9k, ramsey 12k, ramsey 15k (I recommend :wink1: ) will do ya.. you are buying good products with them....

14. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Warn 8274-50 for me

Bumper 04.jpg

15. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Go ask your local wrecker driver what winch he uses to make his living. 90% will say Ramsey.

Nice looking bumper cegusman!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  16. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

I've decided to go with a 9-9.5K winch this summer for my K5. Most 9.5s list a lower Amp draw at 6K lbs. and are lighter in weight - my front is already sqatting the springs into a slight W shape. I've also decided that I want something that has a low profile and doesn't impede airflow thru the radiator.

Daniel, any input from you regarding a Ramsey REP 9.5E (e.g. at Northern Tools, $550 + $50 shipping) compared to a Superwinch EP 9000 (e.g. at Summit for $580 including a snatch block and free shipping)?

Is the REP series something to consider for a 6K+ pound vehicle, or would you rather suggest to stick with a Patriot? I'm not looking for ultimate speed - I figure if I get stuck enough in the desert to need a winch, I'll have all the time in the world to make sure I get unstuck in a safe manner, and I'm not into competitions. So speed isn't so much an issue; reliability is.

And in general: does anyone have experience with Superwinch winches at all? I'm having a hard time finding anything, neither positive nor negative...

17. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Up here, 90% will say Warn.

18. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I had a Warn M12000 and was not impressed with it, after the third of fourth time I had to replace solinoids I went and got abig old slow worm gear Ramsey RE12000 and have loved it ever since it pulled my frame out of alignment

19. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

The REP 9.5e will work good on a 6K lbs rig. The weight rating is no different between the REP and Patriot Series. The 9.5e will pull just as hard when you need it.

Super winch is now made in China. Just like TMax, MileMarker, Champion, Harbor Freight...

Ramsey is made in the USA and has a lifetime warranty. Super winch doesn't list their warranty (that I could find on their site).

By the way, Sam's Offroad sells the 9.5e shipped for $499.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  20. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

That may be because you live next in warn's backyard. Most of their factory is in OR, right? I know some of their production has moved to Mexico...