Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which winch?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by great scott, Jan 29, 2003.

1. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

which winch should I buy.4WPH has a mile marker E8000 on an intro price of 449.95 with a 12' remote and a cable gide.My local parts store will sell me a warn 9000I with remote and roller guide for 750.00. Will the 8000 lbs be enouf to lug my big blocked, 1 tonned, dual lockers, and 39.5 boggers out of the crap I can get into?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

My Warn 8000i has been enough for me. I also have a snatch block just in case. I think you could beat those prices if you shop around some.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have stalled out my xd9,000i warn winch before so i would go with atleast the 9,000 but get bigger if you can /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Well anything can help out but when your stuck enough for an 8000 lbs winch would not pull you out i really doubt that a 9000 lbs would. But who knows mabey it would ive pulled 2 stuck trucks outta a mudhole with a come along! in the winter first truck was MINE. then a stuck lifted 4x4 EXPLODER on some 33 BFG Mudstuckers /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.(just cuz most guys i know try any mud hole with those on there trucks and most time dont make it). MileMarker is damn good winch but so is Warn Id go Warn just cuz the rep that they have in the Offroad World. But then there is the price saving money is good too Hmm...... Its up to you. I want at least a 10,000 lbs winch if not bigger and I got a 1/2 ton pickem up truck but the Bigger the Better! Plus you could pull your truck, your friends truck, your other friends 2 jeeps, and the biggest tree you can find all on to your truck at the same time /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I like my 8274. Durable and fast. Line speed is a good thing when you need to move right now. If Grim responds he'll give a good example of why if he isn't tired of typing it. This has been asked so many times /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif a search would be a good idea.

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Would be worth looking at the hydraulic units. They don't have a duty-cycle, and can be run almost continously at capacity. In my experience, people tend to use the electrics for too long a duration.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Warn....LINE SPEED is king for trails. If your into mud then brute force.
    Warn 8274 and it's line speed kept me from a roll on Gardrail. Not another winch on the market that would have saved me including my HS9500i that is the second fastest winch on the market. My bumper just wouldn't let me go with a 8274. I also got a hell of a deal used on the HS9500i. Still not as good as the Deal BigJBear got on his 8274 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

So far I have been satisfied with my MM E8000. I haven't been good and stuck yet but I pulled a huge, heavy tree off the trail yesterday and it pulled strong enough that I had to put some big rocks in front of the tires so the truck would stay put. Milemarker makes an interesting video of some tests they have done with their winches vs. other winches. It's free and comes pretty quick... it is interesting to see lots of broken winch cables. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

9. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I went with an HS9500 over the hydraulics for one big reason: no engine = no hydraulics. I liked the HS9500 because: (1) it was the biggest I could get without doing the big price jump to the 10k+ winches, (2) it is fast, (3) no internal solenoid allowed me to mount it between the frame rails, and (4) I got it new from 4WPW during a special last year for only $750!

10. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

8274 Warn is what I want on my 88 SWB.Been on recieving end 3 times in Tellico area,MM 8000 stalled {frame on rocks}Hooked old 8274 to me,it moved me.Other time{helicopterpad} MM did ok,pulled slow and I wasn't bottomed out.Line speed is reason want 8374 or HS 9500i .If you're need to pull a lot of other folks the MM has longer duty cycle.Won't work for self recovery if motor not running is main drawback. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Maybe keeping your engine running is a problem with you gassers! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif LOL! (Just kidding /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Where are you guys going to get to without the engine running? I big winch sucks a battery dry pretty quick. Maybe you can winch yourself a 100 yards, but then you're walking anways. If its simply a safety line so you don't keep sliding down a cliff, you can still spool out a hydraulic and enagage the brake.

12. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

It's a done deal. I went with the xd9000I, now Its time to install it.