Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which wire is the tach lead on a 1990 350?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, Jan 3, 2001.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

I'm putting in an aftermarket tach. The instructions just say to connect to the neg coil terminal. My haynes is vauge. Also, I'm not sure what type of ignition mine is. Ive heard people call it HEI but on mine the coil is mounted on the intake not on the dist. cap like the ones I see in the mags. Thanks..
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by shum1 on 01/03/01 07:50 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    on HEI dist there should be a terminal (next to the power in)that says "tach" That would be the one to use, but you need a plug to get it in the case.

3. His truck should have the later model dist in which uses an external coil.My 88 truck had a pig tail for a tach in the harness next to the coil,its the black wire on the plug that goes to the coil.If your still not sure turn the ignition on and use a test light to see which has power,the one that does'nt is the one you need.Good luck

4. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

My 89 and 87 both has had a wire with connecter coming off coil. This is for the tach. Your ignition is H.E.I.