Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which wires to fuse box/starter????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 01maroonz71, Apr 18, 2007.

1. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

ok, i've looked at wiring diagrams like crazy....but i can't figure this out. i have a 1987 project truck that originally had TBI(harness has a TON of connectors) and im about to cut all that crap out of there...but i can't figure out which wires i need to hook up the ignition, and to make the lights run.

basically,out of the wires coming out of the fuse box(inside engine bay), which wire do i hook to the battery to give the fuse box power???

and which do i hook to the starter so when i hit the key, it gives the starter power???

the lights are still wired up, as is the oil pressure sender, and the temp sender. i pulled the ECM wires out since they were just getting in the way. i don't believe that i need them do i????

thanks alot guys!

~Dave

2. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

My ignition wire to the starter in my 82 cab is purple (10 gauge wire i think). And I have two power wires into my fuse box (both red and 10 gauge i believe), I think one is supposed to come from the alternator but I have a high output one wire alternator and ran it straight to the battery.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yup, 2 10 gauge feeds.. 1 from the alternator, the other from the starter, via the junction block on the firewall above your driverside valve cover...

4. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

awesome guys...both your replys are kind of conflicting. so ill run the 10gauge purple to my starter, then the 2 red 10gauges from battery for now(no alt) thanks again guys!!!!