Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which would you have????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

Currently I'm running a 79 K5 350 tbi, th350, np203, 4:10 gears w/36" Iroks. I have a good deal in the works for a whole blazer with a 700r4/np208 in it. I know the R4 has a lower first gear, but strength wise would the Np203 be better? Thanks.

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you'll have a 3.06 1st gear with the 700R4, as opposed to the TH350s 2.52. the advantage there goes to the 700R4. that coupled with the overdriven top gear, the 700R4 is in a clear advantage, providing it is in good condition. flush out all of the old fluid, put in a fresh filter and gasket, and make sure your TV cable is adjusted properly (VERY critical). also install a large trans cooler when you install it. if your rig sees mud often, make sure its located somewhere where mud wont get to it to clog it up, and make sure it gets adequate air flow to cool the trans. doing these things, and being sure to keep it out of OD when playing, you shouldnt have a problem with the trans, despite their shady reputation. most failures are due to gears in the rear being too high (most were coupled with 2.73 or 3.08 gears) and oversized tires, putting more stress on the trans. with your 4.10s and an actual 36" tire, you should pull around 1750 @ 65 mph, so you should be fine there.

as for the transfer cases, both being chain driven cases, i'm going to say they are going to be close internally as far as strength. the 208 has the advantage of a lower low range. 2.62:1 vs the 2:1 of the NP203. up until this point, the 208 has the advantage. both being chain driven cases, i'm going to say they are going to be close internally as far as strength. the 208 has the advantage of a lower low range. but, being that the case of the 208 is aluminum in is more prone to damage offroad than a 203 would be. on the up side the 208 is lighter, more compact, and is clockable (DIY4X makes a reasonably priced clocking ring, so you can clock it up to get it a little more out of harm's way.). the 203 should be a fixed yoke, where the 208 is a slip yoke with no option of an SYE. i'd say with a 208 and a decent skidplate under it, you cant lose with the 700R4/208.

3. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

perhaps this is a stupid question, but if the tranny is set up for gear selection of 1 2 & D - how do you keep it out of overdrive w/ out manually selecting between 1 and 2 constantly?

colbystephens.

4. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

if you only have 1,2,D on the column (and have the stock tranny still) its a non OD trans. My blazer has OD,D, 2, 1, on the column and i got a 700r4...

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

like said, if you dont have 1,2,d and od it not an od tranny. the 208 is hands down better than a 203. they are lighter, better reduction and are not fulltime 4x4.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

he's got a TH350 in it now, so it says PRND21. when you switch to a 700R4, you can do one of two things. disregard the indicator altogether, and just count the clicks. 1 click=reverse, 2=neutral, 3=OD, 4=3rd, 5=2nd, 6=1st. or, bolt in an indicator from an OD truck. alot of people think that the column has to be changed. this is incorrect, there are no detents whatsoever in the column. if you disconnect the linkage, the shift lever moves freely from one extreme to the other. all detents are inside the trans. adjust your neutral start switch, and call it good.

7. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok. so here's another stupid question then. i've got a 700r4 in my 83 - but it's an hour away from me, so i can't go out the front door - but i swear i don't recall having an option for OD - thus my previous question. i thought all 700r4's had od. is that correct? perhaps mine does, and since i only drove it twice before taking it under the knife, i never paid attention.