Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which xfer case did I get?? 203 or 205? help?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerBoy, Apr 23, 2001.

1. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I just picked up at K30 pick up with what I thought was a 205. I have never seen either the 205 or the 203 before. But I looked at the back of the case and seen a drain and a fill plug, which I thought only the 205 had. I looked at these pics http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=blazer4x4&Number=128342&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5 that shows a pic of a 205, I dont think mine is the same. If anyone has any pics, that would be great, or any sure fire ways to tell them apart that would be great. I am beginning to think I have a 203. Thanks.....

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Look at the big round cover on the back of your case. If theres a small round cover above it being held on by 3 bolts, its a 205. If theres no round plate above the large one, you have a 203.
    Heres the picture from Chuck's page. I circled the plate but you cant really see it that well
    [​IMG]
    </font color=blue>

[​IMG]

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have a np205 and my speedo cable is on the drivers side some of them did come that way

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>[​IMG]

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I just checked the 205 in my 71 K5 and the speedo cable on the drivers side too. I also have an 83 SM465/NP205 (slip yoke) in my garage it looks like its in the slip yoke. I wouldnt go by the cable. The cover is the best way to tell.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

5. bassphreek

bassphreek Registered Member

the np203 is a MUCH bigger and heavier case. it weighs about 250 lbs compared to the np205 which weighs in around 150. my 205 has a driver cable just like the rest of the post. and to what i believe, the adapter plate on the 203 is super thin w/7 bolt hole (i think). its designed so that you have to bolt it to the trans first, then to the tcase. the 205 is a thicker adapter with wich you should be able to unbolt it from the trans without having to mess with the tcase bolts. another way (and i know it sounds elementary, and its not to sure-fire), but you can look on the shifter knob....if there is no 2wd, you have a 203. i hope this has helped a little.

i like imports..........they make good speed bumps

6. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Well, when you go to take it out, and it crushes you, than it proboly was a 203. Or was that 205? The 203 (fulltime) got a heavy cast iron chain drive case to the front output. It also has a large aluminum rear output. Hope you "figger it out." GOPHERKILLER

7. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Easy way, check out the shifter. If the shifter has linkage like a 4 speed car shifter, its likely a NP203. An NP205 has a single rod (shifter) which mounts to the adaptor between the case and transmission. This attaches by a single bolt which is greasable. There will be a short linkage piece about 2" long then it attaches to a rocker style linkage system which pushes rods into the NP205. I know this is a long shot, but check this. Plus an NP203 has a range box up front and is much longer. Check out the front of your case near the linkage, there should be a tag there and it will tell you which one you have. Send me a pic.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

8. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status