Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which year 14-bolt to look for?? - Need help quick!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brian 89KBlazer, Jan 23, 2001.

1. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I'm shopping around for a 14bolt for my Blazer rebuild and got a price from Hicks 4x4 in Pomona of $1295 plus shipping (approx $150-$200) With the exchange on the Canadian dollar, plus duty plus taxes (15%), the axle will cost me over $2500 Canadian!!! For that much, I figure I got nothing to lose checking the price of a brand new one from the local dealerships. My question is this:

What year axle am I looking for & from what makes? I know a 3/4 ton Suburban up to 1991 will be a good candidate, any other ones? I've got to cut off and reweld the spring pads and shock mounts anyway so will a 14-bolt from any year 3/4 ton or 1 ton do??

Thanks
    Brian
    89KBlazer

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    The GM's had the same frames from the 70's until 1991 (blazers & burbs), and up to 1988 in the pick up's. If you get a 14 out of those trucks, they should fit. I don't think you will have to reweld anything with that application.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez</A>

3. Brian 89KBlazer

Thanks Corey but I've GOT to reweld the spring pads and shock mounts anyway so what I'm wondering is could even a mid-late '90's axles fit?

Thanks again
    Brian

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Why do you have to reweld? You shouldn't need to for the axles that Corey mentioned...

If you are already planning on rewelding, then you can put almost any axle in there that you want to (even a 9" [​IMG]), but be sure to check the width of the axle. You may want one that is a little wider than the original rear end, but you probably don't want to get it any wider than the original front end.

<font color=blue>"As of tomorrow, employees need security cards for building access. Pictures will be taken Wednesday and cards received in 2 weeks."</font color=blue>

5. Brian 89KBlazer

Thanks Blue

I guess I haven't GOT to reweld, but I did want to remount my shocks similar to the way Depdog & Steve have and I want to fab heavy duty spring pads like Dep made for his axle which will also give me an inch of lift.

So are you saying that any 14 bolt up to present year will be the same or has the 14 bolt changed through the '90's??

Thanks again
    Brian
    89KBlazer

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey, Are you looking for a F.F. 14 bolt or a S.F. 14 bolt? Around here $2500 Canadian would get you 25 FF14 bolts [​IMG]
    Any 3/4 ton pick-up from '73 up to 87 or so will have one underneath it. If you're going to re-do the perches and shock mounts a 1 ton pick-up would be a good candidate too.
    The 2 WD pick-ups are good hunting grounds for a good 14 bolt, and the camper specials usually came with 4.10's.
    You should be able to find a good one for under $200, get your welding done, blasted and painted for a few dollars more and you can always do a ratio change after that. All for way less money.

Rene

[​IMG]

7. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Just remember to measure up what your looking at if you are yarding it. And dont rule out axles originally with dual wheels. A dually pickup axle will look pretty goofy on your K5, but a dumptruck or flatbed might be the ticket. If its still on the truck(and a dually) the right one will have the tires pretty close to the springs. The lugs are easy enough to change out. Single wheel 14bolts are pretty rare here while duallys are common. It opens up alot more posibilities.

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have a 14FF out of a one ton single rear wheel. It has 4.10 gears and the factory Gov-Lock. $300.00 takes it. It come out of an 84 K30.

9. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

If you pull the 14 bolt from a 3/4 ton, the spring perches will be the same as your 1/2 ton. If you pull it out of a 1-ton, you will have to relocate the spring perches. That's what Petersen's 4 Wheel & Offroad says.