Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which year 350's will accept factory Roller Cams?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by ponderingjunkman, Sep 14, 2002.

1. ponderingjunkman

ponderingjunkman Registered Member

Which year 350\'s will accept factory Roller Cams?

Greetings! Do any of you fine gentlemen(women) know what year GM began to make the 350 compatible with the factory roller cam? Compatible as far as the retainer plate on the front of the cam and the different lifter bore depth required for the roller lifters and the three bolt holes for the lifter bar retainer spider. I just tossed #6 rod thru the side of the block in the 305 in my '89 firebird- so it is time to upgrade!! I want to keep the expensive roller cam I recently installed, plus the factory flywheel. I am not sure what to look for , so I am asking on the best truck site!! Hopefully you newer model guys will know this. Thanks very much for your help! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. Joey D

Joey D Registered Member

Re: Which year 350\'s will accept factory Roller Cams?

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think 87 was the 1st year for the roller
    cams in the trucks anyway.

3. ponderingjunkman

That should mean there are a LOT of them out there! Hopefully for Cheap! I must go scare the local Rice population before the summer is gone! Thanks for the quick reply Joey!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It depends on what vehicle the engine was installed in at the factory. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif The Corvettes had rollers cams in '87. I think the F-bodies did too. But the trucks didn't get roller cams until many years later (except in the 6.2 diesel and the 4.3 liter V6). However, knowing how good GM is at using a single part in multiple applications, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the truck blocks have the bosses cast in for the spider support. They may need to be drilled and tapped, but that's no biggie. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I have a Pre-Vortech block in my garage and it has the 3 bolt holes in the middle. I think it's 94-96 ish. Came out of a 1-Ton Lumber delivery truck.

6. ponderingjunkman

Hey Jc - does your block have the two bolt holes on the front to hold on the cam retainer plate?

7. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Sorry I haven't got It tore down that far yet.