Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

which year hoods can replace a '78?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, Jan 17, 2002.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

which year hoods can replace a \'78?

A friend has a 78 K5 that has a real bad creased hood. What years can he steal from to replace this hood with a good one?

Thanks
    Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: which year hoods can replace a \'78?

I believe any hood from 73-80 will work. The only thing I am not sure of is if there are any difference between the years that had the "safety" hood release in the cab, and those that did not (not sure which year was the switch). Someone else can probably answer that for sure. Also, I believe LMC truck lists one part number for hoods from 73-80, but if someone has the catalog in front of them, they can let you know if that is correct or not.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

3. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Hey ken I have a hood from a 78 if interested. Been sitting in the barn for 2 yrs now is in good shape has a bug guard and the hood springs on it $75.00 bucks and its yours. I am in Gladwin.

Scott
    78blazer

4. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

You are correct, any hood vintage 73-80 will work. That's from GM and LMC. The LMC part number for the hood is 38-9521-T at $139.95. I'm sure the dealer won't even buy you dinner before they screw you on a hood from GM.

Haze gray and underway...<font color=blue>or blue, in my case.</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/26246038MbQsYWKcbo>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I passed the info on to my buddy.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs