Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Which Year Steering Box?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by jp0863, Jul 7, 2006.

1. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

im going to do the crossover steering on my blazer with a dana 60, which year or years steering box do i need to use? your site says a 2wd box, but what year box do i need? thanks... i tried the search, but got totally unrelated stuff...

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If your rig is the 85 CUCV then you need any 2wd box from 1980 2nd design or later square body style (1991 for blazer, suburban, crew cab) with the O-ring style lines.

3. jolane

jolane 1/2 ton status

I just did this a week ago. As 4X4HIGH said, get a 80's 2WD box. The things you care about are:
    1. Fitting ends, yours should be o-ring style, and
    2. Box that mounts on the outside of the frame rail, NOT the inside like the later 80's models (can't remember the designation for these).

So, you have ~7 years of trucks to choose from, shouldn't be too hard to find one in the JY. The earlier boxes have different line fittings, and that should be obvious when looking at it.

I hope this helps,
    Joshua

4. jp0863

cool thanks.... gearing up for my projects. gonna be off for a month when my daughter is born so i finally will have time to do some work... i've had a frame brace for a year...

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

6. jp0863

that does look quite cool. and i happen to know where i can score one easy. thanks. when i owned a jeep i couldnt find any wrecking yards with jeeps and plenty of chevy;s. now that i wheel a chevy i cant find any 4x4 chevy's and there are plenty of heeps. go figure, that damn murphy's law.