Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

While changin your oil, have you EVER.......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zeus33rd, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

....NOT gotten any oil on either yourself or the garage floor? I think it's impossible. Especially when unscrewin the filter. lol! Although I did pretty good today, just a few splatters on my left arm. Actually got most of it to go into the drainpan for once. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I don't have a problem on the K5's it's the freaking supra I make a mess with. It sits so low I can't get it up on the typical ramps. I have to put it on the ramps made out of three 2x4's on end. That's almost enough for me to get under there. I can just reach the drain plug with the front air damn jammed into my chest on the creeper. Never fails. Mobil 1 all over the floor every time. Hell I have to put it on those ramps to get my BIG jack under there to the cross member. Thank GOD you can do the oil filter from the top.
    Now the 75 is awsome. No jacking or ramps. Sits high enough that I slide my 5 gallon Thompsons drum under it that I use to collect drain oil. My Big funnel in the top and slide it under the pan and drain away. No need to transfer from catch pan to the drum. I need 6 inches of lift on my wifes 79 so I can do it that way also. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I used to pride myself with not getting oil on me or anything else. But that was with a 2 wheel drive or a blazer only lifted 2". With 4", it's a long drop to the oil pan and when the wind blows it goes all over the ground and me and I get it in my hair...ugh! But my ratchet gets a good lube /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I only have a 3" lift and my 5 gal. Home Depot bucket fits under my Blazer...usually get a little oil from the filter on the street. I never change it in my driveway.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm too lazy to change myown oil, I just take it into a local oil changing place that uses Vavloline and Fram filters. Have them grease everything while I'm there. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm too lazy to change myown oil, I just take it into a local oil changing place that uses Vavloline and Fram filters. Have them grease everything while I'm there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn you are hella lazy...I wouldn't sound so proud /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

I take a 3 gal bucket flip it over and set my oil pan on top of that. No spills! I also change my oil in the street. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Not being proud, just honest. Where I lived befor we couldn't work on our vichiles on the property, including changing the oil. Haven't need it changed sence I moved the house. Not sure if I'll keep paying, or just do it myself now.

8. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I just unplug the oil pul and drain it right into the street anyway, once it goes down that drain it is gone, right?

No really, I always get it everywhere. My green oil tub is stained brown from all the spills. I used to change it in my grass at my old house cause of the busy street. There was a permanent spot that would never grow grass because of my bad aim with the tub.

9. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Around here the lube business is so competitive, it barely makes it worth your time to change your own oil. Get your oil and filter changed, everything greased, car vaccumed, windows washed inside and out, and the dash dusted for around 18 bucks. Add to that what a PITA it is to dispose of oil (properly), and the mess making issue, makes it a good alternative for most people.

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I do pretty good... I've done oil changes on lunch breaks before I worked in the city, wearing nice office clothes and gardening/dishwashing gloves... Heck back then, if I didn't have to catch and get rid of the old oil right away, I'd have done my oil more often, on cigarette breaks...

But then there are other times that I've needed to do it in 30 seconds and cleanly, and somehow, 6 hours, 8plugs/wires/cap/rotor/filters later, the oil is done...

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

The only drawback to that is the quality they use. Wayyyy back when I used to sleep once a month, I'd bring it to a place to get done. I used to bring them a filter and oil for a $5 discount, but peace of mind that I wasn't going to see my motor in a junk pile somewhere with a jiffy-lube filter sticking of it... The wrecking yard I hang out at always seem to have the same filters on thier junk motors... Either Group7 or Jiffy Lube...

12. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Plus, those places don't let the oil drain out for very long. When I'm doing mine, remove drain plug, go have a couple of beers, come back and it's still dripping dirty sh*t out. Those guys get that plug back on there as soon as possible.

13. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

No kidding! I normally wait till there is just a drip, then pour a quart in there and go back and wait till that quart is drained out. It might be a waste of a quart, but it makes me feel good that I flushed it out with clean oil!

14. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I do the same thing. It's kind of like a $2 engine flush!!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I hear ya, sometimes it is more practical to pay $22.00 and get it all done (plus a carwash) without having to do it yourself. Kinda nice not haveing to do it myself.

16. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I buy my own oil and filter and the shop around the corner does a drain and fill for $10.00. Today they even changed out my drain plug and gasket for a dollar. And lubed my driveshaft for free :-)

17. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

In reply to:
    "Haven't need it changed sence I moved the house. Not sure if I'll keep paying, or just do it myself now."

I'm assuming you mean trailer?

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yes, I live in a mobile home (trailor house).