Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

While waiting to drop in the motor........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big pappa b, May 19, 2003.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I decided since the truck is fairly new to me that I would change the gear oil in the differentials and check to see what gear I had. The front one still had some Blue RTV visible around the gasket so I could tell that it had been changed not too long ago. Opened it up and the fluid lokked really clean as well as the gears. Popped the cover off the rear and a flood of fluid came out. This stuff looked like MUD!! Not real sure where water could have gotten in unless it was around the axle seals. The plug on the diff was plugged good and had an elevated hose up near the bed.
    I'm guessing that this is a common problem for those the wheel in the water and soupy mud.....right?
    Should be putting in the motor Tuesday. I could have done it today but I don't have a garage here so I am working out of the auto hobby shop on the Air Force base. It's pretty cool, these have an unlimited supply of tools even though I usually bring my own. A full day working in these goes for about $20.
    Guess I'll see what fun Tueday brings /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

gotta love the hobby shops, i used the one here at nellis so i had a vehicle lift while installing my lift kit. the guy that runs is even stayed late so we could finish it up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. big pappa b

The manager here is retired Army and is pretty cool too. He always comes over to see what I'm doing. I think he wants to help because he's bored /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. big pappa b

Did you weld up that new rear bumper yourself??

5. rick88blaze

no, one of the guys at the shop that rebuilt my tranny did it. i just did the designing of it. i was really surprised how well he did, he's 21, and he taught himself how to weld. the cool thing is, i'll be able to score some more of the same steel, so i'll probably have him weld me up a front bumper this summer. same deal too, i'll just have to give him the left over steel.

6. big pappa b

Time for a TDY to Nellis /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. rick88blaze

come on down!!, gotta warn you though, anybody else that wants something like this done down there will have to fork over some cash. i only got this deal because i gave them $1700 for rebuilding my tranny.