Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whine\howl coming from rear end

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Riktar, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Riktar

Riktar Registered Member

whine\\howl coming from rear end

I have developed a nasty noise coming from the rear end that can be easily heard at speeds above 25 MPH under load amd gets louder just before you completely let off the gas.

I can actually make this thing louder (More "whine" rather than "howl") when I slightly let off the gas. The "howl" noise is similar to the noise you would get from a manual tranny that is in reverse, or rather from running some big open tread tires, or maybe somewhere in between.

Any ideas? Front pinion bearing? I can't seem to generate any play from the rear U-joint or the yoke on the rear end.

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Re: whine\\howl coming from rear end

check your fluid? Did you recently have gears setup?

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Get the wheels off the ground and pull the drive shaft. Check the pinion for play. If you can't feel any it's time to pull the cover and see what's up. Check the back lash and gear pattern. sounds like it's starting to come appart

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the ring & pinion is wearing. Check the backlash and pattern.

5. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

Start saving your pennies. cause you going to be buying some new gears. CAuse if it is already howling that bad you will HAVE to replace them. Sorry /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i just checked on the same thing on www.ringpinion.com(ramdys r&p) and it sayd that it is bad pinion barrings.i have to replace mine this weekend cause i think i have the same problem

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sounds like pinion bearings to me too. Mine screamed real loud for a couple months, then exploded and destroyed a lot of parts (the entire rear axle). That's when I finally gave up on 1/2 ton axles.

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Time for a rebearing!!

9. Riktar

Riktar Registered Member

Ok now I am really PO'd. I decided to check the fluid level to start with and since I couldn't feel any fluid near the fill plug I thought I would put some in. After I started putting in the SECOND bottle (1 quart size) I realized that the rear end was probably run dry.

To further add to my enjoyment I was treated to the view of the stinking stuff making it's way out from the backing plates as well as front carrier bearing seal after a quick (less than a block) test drive to see if the noise subsided.

About the only thing that did change from filling the thing up was a bit of a reduction in noise. As in the whine noise I was getting when I lightly backed off the throttle is gone. The howling under load is "slightly" quieter but still there.

I don't even want to get into the fact that I should have been more observant about this since the individual I recently bought this from mentioned he just got done doing rear brakes and changing the axle seals on the rear. Since most of the other stuff on this thing were not represented accurately by him I should have just gonr through the Jimmy with a fine tooth comb.

So now I guess it's time to crack the back cover, pull the brake drums off and see just how much damage was done. The way things are going I will probably find the lock screw broken off in the pinion shaft. That's probably how far things went in the prior repair.

I wonder if it wouldn't just be easier to find a replacement 10 bolt rear end that I know has good brakes and seals and just swap out this mess.

IF by some chance I do find that the only (Excluding the axle seals/bearings of course) source of damage was to the front carrier bearing maybe I could get away with changing that and be ok. I have never attempted one of those and was wondering if the front bearing/seal can be changed on the vehicle. As in: Is the front carrier bearing pressed on? Do I have to recheck the pinion/ring clearance?