Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whiney work post.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ryoken, Aug 6, 2005.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i'm not one for making these kinda posts usually but i need to vent....

i'm seriously contemplating a career change.. i'm thinking of getting out of the marine mechanic business. i'm very curious as to how well truck drivers do.. more on that at the bottom..

got into a huge screamfest with my boss again yesterday.. i definitely feel under-appreciated... i've been with the company 12 yrs, 3 longer than my boss has owned it... i shoulda bought it when it was offered to me.. but thats another story...

we're a small company, my boss, his wife who does the payroll and stuff outta the house, me, another mechanic, another glass guy and usually a young grunt..

i've always been the one that paid the extra dues... stay till 10 at night to finish jobs, come in early for weeks at a time to catch us up.. being full service, i get all the huge crazy jobs that noone else can do.. from big paint jobs to demoing 1/2 the boat to do fuel tanks, crazy boat-fit repowers, wiring nightmares, etc... i've always, just been the one that was gonna do em when they came thru the door.. it's a given... lot of stress-filled, custom type work...

its all starting to take a toll... :( physically, i'm bleeding and exhausted pretty much every day... now, if i was making killer money, i'd suffer thru it... i do ok, but should be better as most people feel... i pay 100% of my insurance and am lucky to get 1 week paid vacay after all this time...

now to the truck thing... how well can you do in a couple years? where's the big money? over the road? could i be making 50 g's in a few years under the right circumstances? investing in a rig is not an option... i imagine fuel costs are hurting this industry as well....

thanks for any imput and reading my drival if you've made it this far. ;)

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

If your current employer had any brains he'd sit down with you and get to the bottom of the problem. Long term employees are very valuable IMO, it's hard to find someone willing to stay on more than a year or two. Especially someone with your dedication and skill set.

Ask him for what you want if you haven't done so already, don't pull any punches. Do it while maintaining your composure no matter how he responds. If he doesn't make an attempt to keep you after that then look elsewhere.

I think MAD DOG (Michael) is a trucker or has something to do with trucking. May want to drop him a PM.

3. ryoken

thanks man....

every once and awhile it just kinda gets to ya.... :o

ya just kinda get stuck in the "this is what i do, where am i gonna go? and will it be worse thing." the marine industry is kinda funny like that...

i think its the wife myself... i think if it where up to my boss i'd be getting another 4 or 5 an hr which would keep me pretty content... i think its her at the new big house sucking up all the money.... :frown1:

i may start shopping my skills with a few contacts i know and see if something more lucrative pops up... i'd really love to get back into resto work.. but that seems somewhat limited on the east coast here...

thanks again for the imput... :waytogo:

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Good marine mechanics are not easy to find in this part of the world. You may find that you are marketable if you look around.

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Going by the discussions I have with the truckers I know, you'll have just as much stress as you do now, without the pleasure of going home every night.

Put a resume together.. describe what you do, different projects you've done, the value of those projects to the company, any training certifications, etc.

Then take that resume to other places who could use your skills, and also thwack your boss over the head with it and show him why you deserve more money. What you say can be disputed, what you document cannot be denied.

Try harder to continue doing what you love.. you'll be much happier.

Tom

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have been driving trucks for 9 years, so I know first hand what's it's like. There are some good companies out there, but I will speak of most of them...

It's only worse with truck drivers. If you drive OTR you will likely get paid by the mile. This means you have to go somewhere in the morning to unload, and we'll say it's in Chicago. You sit at that place for 4 hours waiting for them to unload you. Then you have to travel 20 miles across town and it takes 1 or 2 hours. Then you sit here for 2 hours to load. So... you have worked for 8 hours and you get paid about $7.00 (that's $7.00 for 8 hours, not even $1 an hour!) Then after you have worked for 8 hours for free you have to stay awake and drive all night to try and make it to your destination by your appointment time. Then the whole process starts over. Sometimes dispatch won't have a load for you for 8 hours or more and you don't get paid for that time either. You only get paid if you are moving (driving). If you get a speeding ticket, log book ticket, lane violation ticket or anything else, you pay for it.

How many other people work 8 hours or more for free every day? And truckers get no respect... :o

If you can tolerate all the BS that goes along with the job you can do fairly good. I advise against OTR if you have a wife/girlfriend/or kids. It is real difficult to make $50K OTR because of the expense of living out on the road. Everthing at a truck stop will cost about 3 times what it would at Wal-Mart and you have to "eat out" 2 or 3 times a day - it get's expensive. The local drivers like ABF, UPS, FedEx Frieght, Yellow, R&L, etc. get paid between $20 and $30 an hour with full benefits, but rarely will anyone start out in a position like that.

I drive at a local trucking company and love it. I make less money now than I did before, but don't have "road" expense so it works out to the same as when I was OTR. I live about 4 miles from the yars and usually work about 9 hours a night and get paid by the hour, so no more *free* work from me. The company pays my health insuarance 100%. And they gave me a cool storage trailer for putting all my parts in, and I used their truck to haul it to my house! :D

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, it's just not as glamourous as people think.

:crazy:

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

sounds familiar...

You sound like "charlie" on "American Hot Rod",and Boyd is your boss...its a common dilema in small buisnisses--they expect 110% output every minite at work,but when its time to pay you what your worth,give you time off when you want it,etc--they make you feel like your screwing them!...I have worked in many auto parts stores that were small family owned businesses,and I never got paid as much as my co-workers,who were much less knowledgeable,and once I learned a newbie I had to train from scratch was actually getting higher pay than I was!.. :eek1: :mad: ....

I never felt fully appreciated at any of the stores I worked at--I was always the one to do all the "dirty work",and practically ran the stores alone,while the "boss" stayed home and tapped his wife,played the dogs at the track,or golfed...but God forbid I'd want a day off a certain date to do something--it was always a conflict with some other family member or employee,they always seemed to need the same day off,so I'd have to miss out or cancel my plans...just getting time off to go to a doctor or dentist was a hassle--and when my parents became sickly,I just about got fired every time I asked for some time off to bring them to doctor appointments!..one reason I still am unemployed!---I had a chance to buy into one of the stores,but I was afraid of failure,so I never did..sometimes I wish I had.. :doah:

I tried running my own shop at home,but that was shot down by our selectman--I cant do mechanical repairs comercially in a resdential zone...I never made much anyway--most of my "profit" went to supplies and tools,and for electric bills and heat!..so much for being "self employed"..I spent most of my life savings to build the garage,now I hardly use it.. :doah:

I saw an ad for parts delivery drivers where I quit 11 years ago--I did not leave on the best of terms,but I still buy stuff there when I have to,and the owner might hire me back--sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you dont know!..but I'd never go back behind the parts counter again,unless they paid me 15+ an hour--most I ever got was 8 bucks an hour,and thats slave wages for a counterman--I doubt they pay more than 10 an hour now..no health insurance either,unless you don't mind paying 100 a week for it! :eek1: ...I'd rather put it in the bank,and take my chances..

I know the working world sucks--especially in the retail trade...I'd rather be driving and putting up with road rage and cell phone using morons,than be imprisoned behind a parts counter all day long!...and the pay isn't much less,and hardly any stress compared to working inside..But I have to get some kind of income,I cant be choosy anymore..things are getting to close to broke here to goof off much longer!..

Good luck on your job search!...I cant say truck driving (big rigs) is a fun job--I would not want the responsibility,nor the hassles of driving a semi in strange places,where you dont even know if it will fit under the bridges!..whatever you choose,good luck!--your not alone in your search for a better life and job!.. :crazy:

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Yeah, thats why i went into buisness for myself, all the owners want to do is treat you like crap, and make money off your back man. I might look in some other directions, driving truck dosent seem that bad. :wink1: :thumb:

9. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Talk to some of the people you service that will not go to your boss about being a reference. write up a resume and see what some other places around will charge. If it is a bit of custom work a few pics if you get to talk to someone of your work would be nice too. You could also think about trying anther line of work and do your marine work on the side for some extra cash. If you do not have a place to do the work you could also talk to your boss about him contracting some of the work he will be to busy for to you. Just stay polite and try not to burn any bridges. If you have a lot of people that really love your work and know you well then they may follow you to a new place that you work for to get thier service work done. This is a plus for your new boss you will get. I will guess that you own most of your own tools?

10. ryoken

thanks for all the suggestions fellas.. :D

the trucker thing came to mind cuz mom sent me an article about it being a good line of work for middle age guys and gals... just thought it might not be so physically demanding...

i have quite a few photos of stuff i've done... think i'll start hashing out some sort of resume, no matter what happens at work... it'll be good to have...

i'm pretty certain any marina i walk into locally, they'll know of me.. everyone refers their glasswork and "unusual" jobs to us.. i just hate to leave a place i'm comfortable at to try a place that may be worse in the long run..

and yes, i definitely have my own tools.. ;) not every shop-power tool, but a huge box of hand and air tools...

i do regret not buying the business when it was offered.. i'm one of those guys that'll kill himself all week for ya, just give me a nice check... the thought of the inconsistency of the funds, banging on doors at 10 at night looking for my money (exageration), etc didn't appeal to me...

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you already have a book of business that will follow you, go out on your own. :waytogo: