Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whining - Clunking

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by speed4life, Jan 18, 2007.

1. speed4life

speed4life Registered Member

Ok guys I have spent the past 2 nights reading this forum on the issue

My issue is this about 3 weeks ago I started getting a small squeaky noise when I first drove in the morning or after sitting for awhile -- didnt matter if it was foward or reverse

Last week it got a little louder and when placed in "D" or "R" it made a clunk pink noise

Well not the Ujoints replaced them checked the rearend not it My yoke to the rearend is nice and tight NO thursting of the yoke in any direction

Now here is what I have seen since under the truck

Directly above the output yoke on the Tcase which would be the floor pan is OIL everywhere it has tunr my underbody protectant to a sludge

I dont see a leak from the slip yoke on the Tcase but it sure is all over the sheetmetal above it

Now my Tcase is a NP208 all stock 1988 Blazer K5 with 130k on the O.D.

I have taken great pride in this truck and love to death

I need help because the noise is just nasty now and gotten alot worse

Another way to discribe the noise is take a coffee can throw a washer in it a spin it --- the sching sching sching noise is what is going on down the road
    with the clunk pink noise from dead stop to going through the gears even while costing and i push the gas the noise comes back up

And its not the doughnut metal ring at the rearend on the yoke covering the input in the bearing seal area

I have not checked the oil level in the Tcase yet but will tomorrow how ever is there an adjustment to this or what are your guys thoughts I have got to get my baby fixed

Please help -- I would prefer it kept simple and if someone has been through this to help too

Thanks in advance

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Take a close look at all the bolts on your crossmembers.

Have you checked the oil level in the TC?

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

im gonna guess low TC fluid, and a hashed TC.

4. speed4life

speed4life Registered Member

OK here is what I have found the shift forks are worn out and the chain is lose

Got a fella to rebuild it on Monday for like 400 bucks total

The way I found out was that I put it in 4wheel Hi and it kept poping out and it was giving me a hard time to put 4 wheel hi or low

so I will be getting it rebuilt

5. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

X2. I had this happen on my first tranny.......you could move the TC back and forth by hand and hear a nasty sound.