Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whining noise, burning smell. . .HELP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yotapunk, Feb 14, 2003.

1. yotapunk

yotapunk Registered Member

While going to a movie with my chick on her day my truck was acting funny. Stopped at a light and put it in neutral (90 blazer, 350 4speed auto) and the speedo was jumping from (0) where it should be (i was stopped) up to (5) and back down.

Then later on (the way home) the truck started making some funny noise then wanted to die for a second so I shifted into neutral (so I could get a few rpms) then back into gear and this whinning sound from the engine compartment started going then a smell followed on burning wires or burning alternator?? I dont know I pulled over, turned the truck off and looked all over, had the chick start it while Im inspecting and nothing back to normal, and I think my alt is OK cause its charging at over 13 like normal.

Any help, and/or ideas.. . I have no idea what it was but it is a little disturbing.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Tyson

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Was it the fan rubbing the lower fan shroud?

3. yotapunk

Fan shroud has been removed from the truck for about 2 months now /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. yotapunk

Turns out it was the alt. On my way home this morning the truck started running really weird so I killed th radio so I could hear what was going on. then the battery light came on and the gauge started showing a less and less charge. Made it home and pulled the alt. Damn thing would barely turn 3/4 of a turn then come to a stop (talk about blown) so I replaced it and the truck is running strong again. In case anyone wanted to know.

Tyson /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. daimok

daimok Registered Member

thought maybe it was dinner time at my house /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

6. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

thats good that you fixed it My buddys Mudstang had the same prob the other day it was his alt. too. Cool looking Yota you got there i like those trucks and good idea on the tow truck as a chevy K5. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif