Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whining noise...

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by OFFRDK5, Dec 29, 2002.

1. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Wondering if anyone else has gotten a whining noise from their 4x4 front end? I checked the fluid and it is good and full. The noise goes away after I put it in 4x4, drive forward a bit, take it out of 4x4 and back up. Sounds like a hub problem, but I don't see a nice place that I can take some screws out and put some manual hubs in!!

Any ideas?

2. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

may seem like a dumb question, but what fluid did you check???? front IFS Diff??? or Trans ??? or Transfer case??? or all ??? just curious cuz , mine made a whirring sound, only to come and find out that my front IFS puked all the fluid outta it, so i fixed the leak and put in more fluid and everything is grand now??? i guess my next question is when was the last time the fluid's were changed??? just curious hope this helps

and btw there isn't any way that i am aware of installing manual hubs on a IFS S-10 truck,???? i think thats only for the Solid Axles, and if you were having troubles with hubs they would kinda make a Clicking sound unless your bearings are going??? another option??? hell i guess i could sit here and just keep thinking stuff up, but that would require my brains 2 little gears to keep on grinding more than they already are... hehehe

good luck to ya

Ck1500

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. OFFRDK5

Well, the last time it made this sound I didn't have a clue what it was. I ended up taking it to the dealer to make sure I got it right. They showed me the fill plug on the front transaxle. The front drive shaft goes into it. It was bone dry. They put 2 quarts into it. I check it on a regualr basis, when I change my oil and check everything else. Always full.

Changed? Hrm...never changed it. Is there a drain hole for the front diff? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Is there something else up there that I need to check the fluid level on? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks

4. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

to my knowledge there is no drain hole on bottom of front IFS diff, but they do have a vacuum pump you can buy real cheap from a Autoparts store to suck all the old fluid outta it??? just another option??? or crack the front diff apart and let it run out?

Ck1500

Marc

5. OFFRDK5

I will find one of them things and change it. What other fluids should I look into since I just went over 135,000 last night?

6. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

welp if i was doing it all at once i would make sure my tranny fluid isn't burnt , ummm the transfer case fluid also, ummm might not be a mad time for a power steering fluid change, "just trying to think of what might WHINE on a truck " ummm that should just about do it, and make sure you got some lube in the Zerk fittings on your U-Joints.

beyond that its pretty much set, unless its a wheel bearing???? but those normally grind b4 they whine hehehe

hope this helps

Ck1500

Marc

7. OFFRDK5

Gonna go through and check all that.
    Thanks