Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whipple supercharger for tbi

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmtech954, Jan 17, 2006.

1. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

was just wondering if any of you guys have used one of these superchargers before. im thinking of putting one on my 93 suburban 3/4 tons 454. just wondering if its worth the $3500 or not. Thanks

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1140

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The one that I saw on a 350 1/2 ton tahoe didn't seem worth it. I mean, yeah, 500 flywheel horses is great, but the gas bill just went from sucks to blows goats for quarters. If it were me, $3500 is a lot of money that could be dropped on better internal engine mods.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There was a link just posted to a page like "tbipower.com" or something like that, in which the guy had used a supercharger, then taken it off.

His opinion was that for the cost, the other mods you could do for the same money net about the same gain.

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I don't have any experience w/ the product, but I do w/ the company. About a year ago I was hellbent on installing this charger on my 94 Tahoe (TBI350) because it is emissions legal. I called "Whipple Superchargers" repeatedly to get info w/ no return call for like 2 weeks. After finally catching a real human answering the phone, I asked a few question and was almost treated like a complete idiot by these guys.

I chose not to buy their product. If as a potential customer I couldn't get a call back - what would be the response if I needed technical help...?! :dunno:

I'll sooner stay w/ a slow/dependable TBI Tahoe. :D

Marv