Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whirring noise coming from transfer case...any ideas?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Bad Burb, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Bad Burb

Bad Burb Registered Member

My Burb started making a "whirring" noise about a week ago. It sounds like it's coming from the transfer case area but not for sure. It only does it during accelleration and stops the minute I let off the throttle. The drive lines seem tight and no slop present. The noise is more pronounced when in 4x4..even coasting.

The truck has the IFS front and 86k miles on it. It's not the insta trac transfer case but does have the shift-on-fly 4x4 selector.

Anybody have any suggestions/ideas what I should check?

Thanks for your help

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Make sure that the lube in the transfer case is topped off. It probably takes automatic transmission fluid.

3. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

a little whining is normal. crazy question, but you don't have the truck in 4wd on pavement do you?

4. Bad Burb

This noise isn't normal. If it is, then I had something wrong with my truck the first 86k miles because it was quiet.

I might be new to this board but not to 4x4's. I've owned 12 4x4 trucks in my 22 years of driving and don't stick it in 4x4 on the street.

This Suburban is my wifes everyday driver and she's been complaining about the noise so I thought I'd post over here and see if any of you Chevy guys have had this happen.

Meanwhile, I drive an 02 F-250 Crew Cab Lariat w/PSD So, I know a little something about 4x4's.

Thanks,
    Lane

5. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

is the front diff disengaged? even if the tcase is in 2hi, the diff could still be engaged, which can still be spinning your dshaft and turning your tcase.

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the rear end might be going out. Thats exactly whta mine and several friend's rear ends did right before they went. Check and make sure there is enough fluid in there, but its probably going to need a rebuild.

7. Bad Burb

Thanks,

I'll check it this week.

8. Bad Burb

Well, I couldn't wait. I went out and put the truck up on jack stands and put it in drive. You may be right, the whirring noise does sound like it's coming from the rear diff.

Now the questions....I believe this 1/2 ton Burb has a 10 bolt rear (correct me if I'm wrong). Is this something (if not repaired asap) that could be dangerous if it goes out while driving down the road? In other words, could the diff break and lock up while rolling? What exactly will I need to replace...the carrier, ring & pinion, axles?

Thanks for the help,
    Lane

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you have a bad pinion bearing...good idea to repalce all of them though, the pieces of that bearing are probably floating around...yes its a 10 bolt...probably won't be dangerous when it goes out, but you never know...it'll get really loud before it does

10. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

If you replace the bearing now, you may only have to replace the bearings and a couple seals, if you wait it may need a ring and pinion and more. I wouldn't wait too long.

11. Bad Burb

Thanks for the help guys.

Take care,
    Lane

12. Bad Burb

It was the pinion bearing...it was trashed. Had it replaced along w/some new seals and alls well. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks for your help guys,
    Lane